Question about pre applied thermal paste

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
hello, i just bought an athlon x4 640 cpu, it has a thin layer of thermal paste already applied on the bottom of the heat sink. i was wondering if that is enough, should i buy some new thermal paste and apply it myself??

the layer looks pretty thin and i moved the heat sink a tiny bit when i tried to install it

D

Deleted member 217926

A high quality thermal paste can lower temps as much as 6 or 8 degrees over stock in some cases. I like IC Diamond after some testing I have both read about and participated in through these forums.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=12

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=6

This made my graphics card run 6 degrees cooler at load and 4 at idle.

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ic-diamond-24-carat-thermal-compound.html

You are fine with stock paste if you will not overclock.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Different type of thermal paste requires different ways to put, some requires it to be squirted a lot and some needs it to be applied in a thin layer.

Arctic MX-2 works great. Reduced the max temp for my AMD Phenom II X4 925 around 11C. And you just need to use a little bit. And it says it has a 8 year durability (not sure if its true or not, but well, at least it says so...).

Just make sure if you want to add a new thermal paste, clean the old one properly and make sure its super clean

4745454b

Titan
Believe it or not, that thin film of paste is all you really need. You shouldn't have much of the stuff on your CPU. I agree with anort. You are fine with the stock paste and fan as long as you don't mind the noise and are planning on monster overclocks. (very mild ones should be ok, but the noise will be worse then it should be.) Grab an aftermarket heatsink if you want bigger overclocks or quieter fans. Stock fans tend to use 80mm or 92mm fans, while many aftermarket ones use 120mm.

D

Deleted member 217926

If you do use aftermarket compound then clean the old stuff off with a soft cloth and some rubbing alcohol.

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
i know i don't plan to overclock but how often should i reapply the paste,
also how often should i do maintenance on the inside of the comp
i was shocked today when i removed the cover of the case, everything inside was covered by dust, can barely identify the fans and stuff, i tried to clean it with tissues as best as i could before plugging in the new cpu

how often should i clean it and with what tools?

D

Deleted member 217926

Thermal paste should last years. Use compressed air to blow out your case every few months. DO NOT vacuum it . It can create static electricity.

D

Deleted member 217926

I have used Artic Silver Ceramique quite a bit and it lasts years. I have to believe that the IC products do as well due to their extreme density.

D

Deleted member 217926

Sorry man but IC Diamond can be hard to find even here in the States. I did get mine for testing though ;) Try and contact IC directly. Bet they can tell you where you can find it locally.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

If you don't remove the heatsink from the CPU the thermal pad/paste should continue to work as normal. It very rarely if ever breaks down.

Lutfij

Titan

hmmm, yeah good idea! But man, are they expensive tubes or what? :whistle:

D

Deleted member 217926

It's good stuff. You just have to read the results from all the forums they did the giveaway on. My GTX460 runs 1C cooler overclocked to 821/1642/2000 than it did stock before IC Diamond 24.