Question about ps4

bluhefner

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hey my beautiful people, so I got myself ps4...I ordered one of the HDMI to VGA cables and was wondering if my ps4 would work on my monitor using that cable? Interesting enough the monitor can and does display HD however it only has VGA connector. Will my ps4 work? If you was interested its one of the syncmasters ones...thanks for a reply :)

bluhefner

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
See this it where I'm confused because the quality and gaming using the monitor looks identical to 1080p, the cable was only £2 so I wouldn't be too bothered if it didn't work however what's funny is when I went to pcworld and a guy told me there doesn't exist such a cable...do you have any experience or way to test it to see if it does work?

boju

Titan
Ambassador

VGA can do a lot more than you think :) Analog signal interference was the only reason for digital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbiwhJZ4HJc

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1440p or something close to that @ 200hz, quite a bit more than 1080p. Digital is more pure signal but just like digital radio, analog still has longer range and digital is shorter and weaker. It's taking this long to develop digital cables to sustain higher bandwidths.

bluhefner

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I see, well I just wonder how it's going to run using ps4...then again the cable i've got said it has fast bandwith so I wonder...Will let you guys know the results once it arrives. Which should be before end of this week :) Meanwhile let's pray.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not all straight through HDMI to VGA cables are guaranteed to work i've read, so guess its up to onsumer affairs to allow certain standards.

The 2nd picture with the rectangular box around the vga plug looks like it's properly converting so i would think that would be better.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I doubt that PS4 has an integrated digital > analog converter for outputting analog video over HDMI. So my bet would be that a basic cable would not work. You'd need one with an integrated DAC. I don't know if they vary in quality or not.

My guess is that you'll need that second cable from ebay with the integrated converter plus a longer HDMI male/female cable to actually reach the PS4.

bluhefner

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

The thing is the guy in youtube video used the same cable and it did work, however he had to use it on 720p to lower delay....Fun stuff this is :D the way he explained it was that the only thing that matters was the bandwith that the cable can provide...obviously higher the bandwith, lower the delay.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Yea but he's not talking about the PS4 specifically.

I've always thought that basically DVI = VGA + HDMI, as in HDMI is basically the digital portion of DVI which has both (DVI-A that is). In fact it's more like Dual DVI = VGA + 2x HDMI.

Anyway so now it seems that there is also the possibility of analog video over HDMI, otherwise that passive cable would be useless. I still don't think that many HDMI devices would have analog output included. Laptops may have since they indeed need the compatibility with VGA projectors, but I don't see why the PS4 would have that. Having analog in the HDMI out needs a DAC and even though that's probably a 50 cent device it's still extra cost which basically nobody would use. Wiki states the PS4 has "HDMI (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K for pictures and videos only". Methinks that if Sony would want to support analog video out, they'd just use standard RCA or S-Video or whatever the older consoles had.