Question about PSU, UPS and Surge Protectors

ayzorf

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
I'm in the process of building my first gaming PC and am confused regarding thread topic.

Firstly, my house currently had a partial UPS backup (i.e. some power lines have backup, others do not) because of frequent power cuts. I live in India, if that makes a difference to the upcoming questions.

So my questions are:

1. Given that the power line to which I plan to hook up my PC is backed up, do I need to buy a separate dedicated UPS for the PC? Are my PC components protected more if I have both the home backup + a dedicated backup? I don't plan to run the PC on the home backup, of course, just enough time to switch off the system safely.

2. Is it okay/safe to plug my PSU into a surge protector? And if I have a dedicated UPS, do I need to plug that into the surge protector? The surge protector I have says is capable of handling a home theatre system, so would that be good enough for a PC as well?

I'm far too confused over all this. Also I'm entirely clueless about electronics and hardware, so please talk to me like I'm five. :) Thanks.

Anaandrew01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I would suggest that you should buy separator UPS for your system it will give proper back up to your system. As, you home back is already providing backup to other items. Also, no need to plug in your system to surge protector as surge protector will be inbuilt in UPS. So, new UPS can make your work easy.

ayzorf

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Ok thanks. My PC is likely to be assembled before I get around to buying that UPS, so in meanwhile would it be safe to plug the PSU into the surge protector? And if I plug that in to the surge protector, can I plug other devices into the same surge protector strip or will that overload it?

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

First question what each does? UPS claims to do surge protection. Add numbers. Then discover a 180 degree different answer. Surges that do damage can be hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does that UPS claim to absorb? Hundreds? Near zero. Why do so many recommend a near zero surge protector? Because many routinely ignore perspective - the numbers. That UPS claims near zero protection. But just enough above zero so that most will *assume* 100% protection.

UPS is for an anomaly called a blackout. When does a blackout cause electronics damage? Never. What does that UPS do? Provides temporary and 'dirty' power so that unsaved data can be saved. Nothing more.

What does an adjacent surge protector do? Again, any answer that ignores numbers is probably a scam. How many joules does it claim to absorb? Hundreds? A thousand? Again, destructive surges can be hundreds of thousands of joules. A number they hope you never learn.

Superior protection inside all appliances means a surge too tiny to damage that appliance can also destroy a grossly undersized protector. You spent how much money for how much protection? A tiny surge destroys a grossly undersized and obscenely overpriced protector. Since the appliance protected itself, then many use wild speculation to say, "My protector sacrificed itself to save my appliance.". Bull. Superior protection already inside each appliance saved that appliance. And destroyed a grossly undersized protector.

Your concern is a transient that might occur once every seven years. A number that can vary significantly even in the same town. What will happen when the rare and destructive surge finally does happen? Meanwhile, adjacent protectors can be so undersized as to sometimes create house fires.

Facilities that cannot have damage routinely earth a 'whole house' protector. This superior device, that typically costs tens or 100 times less money, is necessary to even protect that power strip or UPS. Again, its numbers define protection even from direct lightning strikes. And remain functional - undamaged. Facilities use this and not that grossly undersized UPS.

Many know using word association. It is called a surge protector. Does that mean it must do surge protection? Of course not. Protector and protection are completely different. A surge protector adjacent to appliance is completely different from another device, also called a surge protector, that harmlesslly earths even direct lightning strikes. Two completely different devices with a same name. Why do so many not know the difference? Knowledge is from word association; not by learning numbers and what these things do.

A 'whole house' protector is effective by connecting to something completely different and essential: single point earth ground. Neither that power strip nor UPS have that low impedance (ie 'less than 3 meter') connection. And will not discuss it to protect profits. Learn why your only useful solution is a 'whole house' protector. And learn why the other critical component - earth ground - defines protection. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Only then do you know where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate.

This stuff is layman simple. But too many learn advertising rather than a science originally introduced in second grade science.