[SOLVED] Question about pulling storage from previous build

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
I just purchased everything for my new build , with the help of so many people on this forum (MASSIVE THANK YOU!!!). I’m planning on using my current SSD & HDD. I have a few questions about that process.
#1- Does the SDD need to be wiped ?
#2- Does the HDD need to be wiped?

#3- If the HDD doesn’t need to be wiped, would the old drivers interfere with anything?

Going from intel to Amd
Thanks for your time

Solution
If you had things installed to those drives, do not expect them to show up as installed under a new OS drive....(games for instance installed on drive D or E of one system do not show as installed when/if drive is moved over; you could expect to fresh install the apps to the new device, even if on top of the old location to make things work)

If they were just simple unencrypted storage drives, you should just have to connect them for the drives to show up.

If the SSD was previously an OS drive, make sure you do not accidentally boot from it by selecting correct drive in boot device priority/boot menu of BIOS, and if desiring to start with a fresh SSD for installation of games/apps, then you can simply delete partitions/quick format it...
If you had things installed to those drives, do not expect them to show up as installed under a new OS drive....(games for instance installed on drive D or E of one system do not show as installed when/if drive is moved over; you could expect to fresh install the apps to the new device, even if on top of the old location to make things work)

If they were just simple unencrypted storage drives, you should just have to connect them for the drives to show up.

If the SSD was previously an OS drive, make sure you do not accidentally boot from it by selecting correct drive in boot device priority/boot menu of BIOS, and if desiring to start with a fresh SSD for installation of games/apps, then you can simply delete partitions/quick format it within admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt (Choose GPT if asked, no real need for MBR format anymore...

Reactions: krsensei21
Solution

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020

If the SSD was previously an OS drive, make sure you do not accidentally boot from it by selecting correct drive in boot device priority/boot menu of BIOS, and if desiring to start with a fresh SSD for installation of games/apps, then you can simply delete partitions/quick format it within admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt (Choose GPT if asked, no real need for MBR format anymore...
Okay, definitely think I’ll start fresh with the drive sounds a lot easier. If I do that Would have to boot with my OS flash drive ?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, definitely think I’ll start fresh with the drive sounds a lot easier. If I do that Would have to boot with my OS flash drive ?

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Hello, me again sorry . But after reading that link I fully understand how to swap the SSD over now( Thanks!) , but I still have a few questions I’m kind of lost on.

1- My HDD that has games , Pictures , etc but not windows can that just be put in to the new system. Would any drivers on said HDD cause issues?

2. I have a flash drive I used to boot windows from
my previous build can I use it or does that need to be formatted again?

Thanks again for your time you guys have really been amazing with this process .

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, me again sorry . But after reading that link I fully understand how to swap the SSD over now( Thanks!) , but I still have a few questions I’m kind of lost on.

1- My HDD that has games , Pictures , etc but not windows can that just be put in to the new system. Would any drivers on said HDD cause issues?

2. I have a flash drive I used to boot windows from
my previous build can I use it or does that need to be formatted again?

Thanks again for your time you guys have really been amazing with this process .
The pics on the HDD, no problem.
The games may or may not be OK, depending on what they are. Steam games, for instance...you can tell the new Steam client where those are.

Older flash drive to install from? You might consider just making a new one. Depending on how old it is, you'll have to suffer through a LOT of updates. Using that same flash drive, a fresh OS install created today will be 99% up to date.

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
The pics on the HDD, no problem.
The games may or may not be OK, depending on what they are. Steam games, for instance...you can tell the new Steam client where those are.

Older flash drive to install from? You might consider just making a new one. Depending on how old it is, you'll have to suffer through a LOT of updates. Using that same flash drive, a fresh OS install created today will be 99% up to date.
Thanks! This clears everything up for me , I really really appreciate your help.