question about Radeon 9800 and 9700

BKnapik

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003
Hello, I am about to buy an Nvidia 9700 or 9800, having trouble deciding at the moment.

Anyways I am one of those people who leave there computer on 24/7 unless going unless i am going away for a few days.

My question is have there been any reports of problems with the 9700 or the 9800 burning itself out for example from being left on for an extended period of time?

BKnapik

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003
Well I have. In fact it is a problem I am suffering from right now. I bought an ABit Silario ti4200. I have sent it in 3 times to be replaced. After running for 2 weeks or so the monitor would flash on then off, and repeat. Once I put my old gfx card in, it wouldnt happen. this is just one of the problems, of numerous ones.

G

In a word, NO.

Unless its seriousy overclocked or the cooling fan fails.
But that can happen to ANY card.

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

Actually this was a problem with nV FX5800s (I'm not sure about the current line) and windows 3D screensavers. The Dustbuster attached to the FXs would turn of in mild activity (like 2D or minimal 3D), and when the screensaver became active it would run something like the #D pipes screensaver over and over, this increase in activity was mild so it didn't activate the fan immediately and I believe that there was also something to do with the screensaver or power management affecting the fan control. Anyway, the GPU would continue to heat up under this mild/minor 3D burden an d keep going until failing. The testers reached 95C before aborting the tests (fraidy cats!).
However I have not heard of this being the case for ANY radeon cards. There was an issue with the screensaver causing a lock-up or crash but that got resolved with a driver update.

Whomever told you about that story likely confused the two card makers. The FX had/(has?) that issue, not the Radeons.

Other than a faulty HSF that shouldn't happen, unless of course like someone mentioned you overclock the crap out of it (beyond it's cooling) and it eventually fails. But you would likely see artifacts before that point was reached. Just be sure you have adequate cooling in your case regardless of what you buy.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: