Question about radiator fan placement and chassis temps.

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hi. I'm going to have an H500M case with a H115i Platinum cooler at the top. I had intended on placing the fans under the radiator but unfortunately I just realized that because of the heatsink on the motherboard I will not be able to fit one fan under the radiator and will have to mount both fans above the radiator. I've watched a video of tests being done with radiator fans placed in all different positions and the results were the same for placing the fans under the radiator or above it. The guy also said that placing the fans above the radiator is much better for dust management as the dust will build up on the radiator and you can just blow it away easily rather than the dust getting caught in the fans.

What I want to know is will the hot air created by the GPU be exhausted properly this way? I'll have just the one rear exhaust fan and I'm afraid since the fans won't be placed below the radiator that it will cause too much heat build up inside the chassis.

Solution
You can put the fans on the other side as a pull setup apposed to pushing air. Usually its not as effective because its sucking air and unless you have a gasklet on it, the surrounding air above the rad will be pull in also. Just means less air pressure against the rad. Slightly higher temps. As for the whole case, air will be pulled out the same if fans were on the other side.

iamacow

Admirable
You can put the fans on the other side as a pull setup apposed to pushing air. Usually its not as effective because its sucking air and unless you have a gasklet on it, the surrounding air above the rad will be pull in also. Just means less air pressure against the rad. Slightly higher temps. As for the whole case, air will be pulled out the same if fans were on the other side.

Solution

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks for the info man. I intended on having them pushing air from below the radiator but I can't do that because the heatsink at the top of the motherboard is too tall and there isn't enough room for a fan between the heatsink and the chassis :( I really wanted the look of those RGB fans under the rad but the heatsink on mobo won't allow it so I have to settle for RBG at the top of the case. This case has a glass panel at the top so can still see all that RGB and it looks nice with the 2 200MM ARGB fans in the front. It's good to know that they will still exhaust the same amount of hot air from the chassis though even though they are pulling from above the rad.