Question about Raid hardware and differences in cup's Overclocking.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Question about Hard drives
So i guess i'll go with the first one. Raid 0 i understand that you're essentially running two drives as one. Sharing the data on two drives thus effectively doubling the data transfer rate so to speak or 1.5 what have you.

My question is that if i have two hdd's one running at 7200rpms and the other at 5200 would i get any performance bonus between running them as raids? Would they even be compatible.

Would running them as raids cause the 7200 rpm to get throttled ?

Another question would be if i have two ssd's running as a raid 0 and two hdds as a d drive for mass storage in raid 0 am i running two raid 0's in raid 1? or is that just some variation of raid x. I know that raid 1 is essentially running two drives separately, and that other raid configs are mostly for redundancy so i guess its more of a question about nomenclature.

Oh and if theirs a better way to run two hdd's together please share.

Question about overclocking
So my question isn't so much about actual overclocking clock speed,voltage etc. It revolves around how it is that their is a difference between two things overclocking. Assume that theirs two CPU's both clock at 4.5 ghz. One's a 3570k the other a 4970k.

• If they both clock at the same speed then what is the difference? I mean i realize that both of the CPU's would have completely different architecture and have different power consumption.

But what is it that makes x processor better then y processor if they both clock at the same speed exactly. Is it a combination of things?

I mean is it just because of the different languages they use? I realize this question can't really be answered as one being better than the other as some software could possibly work better with one over the other.

So as usual any information would be great and thanks for answering.

Solution
1) The 7200 drive would get done writing it's data and then it will sit around waiting for the slower drive to finish. It's compatible, but a waste.

2) See above.

3) You'd be running two AID0 arrays, no RAID1.

4) There is, avoid RAID. SSDs are fast so there is little use for AID0 anymore. RAID1 isn't bad, but for home users it's not needed. RAID is used when you need to keep X machine up/online "five 9's" percent of the time. Meaning you can't afford any downtime. This isn't needed for us home users.

OCing.

1)The difference would be the Arch they use. In the case of the 3570 and the 4970 I wouldn't say "completely" different Arches, but it's solely the arch in this case that's different.

2) It's very much a combo of...

4745454b

Titan
1) The 7200 drive would get done writing it's data and then it will sit around waiting for the slower drive to finish. It's compatible, but a waste.

2) See above.

3) You'd be running two AID0 arrays, no RAID1.

4) There is, avoid RAID. SSDs are fast so there is little use for AID0 anymore. RAID1 isn't bad, but for home users it's not needed. RAID is used when you need to keep X machine up/online "five 9's" percent of the time. Meaning you can't afford any downtime. This isn't needed for us home users.

OCing.

1)The difference would be the Arch they use. In the case of the 3570 and the 4970 I wouldn't say "completely" different Arches, but it's solely the arch in this case that's different.

2) It's very much a combo of things. It's easier when you are looking at the same line of chips. The 3570 and 4670 are very similar in performance per clock. This is because the 46xx is only one arch newer, and its ~10% faster due to the improvements. (As I recall there are even some cases where it might be ~4% or less faster as not a lot was improved.) Because it's a combo of everything you need to look at everything when measuring chips.

3) When you get into different languages being used it become nearly impossible to decide which is faster. I'm not sure you meant to use that word.

Solution

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014

I say use raid 0's in a home environment as a substitute to an ssd. Having a couple terabytes of ssd space is impractical and expensive. In a situation where i have an ssd as just holding an os, while off loading all my game data in between two hdd's running in raid i should expect faster load times no? I realize it's used in a business environment especially when you go raid 5 in up with all the redundancy's etc.

When i said languages i guess i was substituting it incorrectly for CPUID or the various instructions cpu's use in different archs, though as you stated their probably isn't massive difference in two intel cpu's as compared to an amd apu which is another thing i don't understand for the most part cpu's and apu's are the same right in the sense their both cpu's is it a trademark issue or are they actually fundamentally different? Though i guess technically that falls under the same as a gpu. Well anyway thanks for the answer.

4745454b

Titan
I say use raid 0's in a home environment as a substitute to an ssd.

And for years people did just that. But the software RAIDs built into the motherboards just aren't very good. I remember reading back when it was popular to do this that people would "often" lose their array when the driver got corrupted. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Due to driver instability and the increased risk with AID0, I always suggest not using it. Ever. SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper. One of my next drive upgrades is going to be a 750-1TB SSD which can be found on sale for ~$300. Move my OS over to my 480pro and retire my 470. A 1TB SSD should hold over my steam folder for awhile.

CPU "languages" I was thinking more like x86, arm, etc. But I had a feeling you didn't mean that. There are many different ways the CPU can be different from others. Cache sizes, pipeline depth (which is near impossible to figure out now.), and process node which can effect power draw and heat as well as a bunch of other things all play a part. It's why you can't look at just one thing between two CPUs and say X will be faster then Y. All the parts together make the CPU go, not just 2.