[SOLVED] Question about RAM OC

Hi all,

I'm upgrading my motherboard to a B550 and was looking at upgrading the RAM as well. There's a bit of a RAM shortage where I live. I couldn't find a 3600MHz kit but stumbled upon a 2x8GB 4000MHz CL17 kit at a reasonable price. Now I'm not much of a RAM overclocker, I was just planning on running it at 3600MHz as I know that the 5600X can support that without issues.

What type of issues will I run into if I purchase this 4000MHz C17 kit and try to run it at 3600MHz C15/16?

The kit in question is the G.Skill F4-4000C17D-16GTZRB

Last edited:
Solution
where I live
This is where you tell us where you're located, as in your country of residency.

Practically, there shouldn't be any issues, though your timings might be laxed, as opposed to the tight timings on the advertised DDR4-4000MHz kit, the other matter is that you will need to work your system in order to get to that high frequency, this will mean manually inputting your ram, timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS.

Lutfij

Titan
where I live
This is where you tell us where you're located, as in your country of residency.

Practically, there shouldn't be any issues, though your timings might be laxed, as opposed to the tight timings on the advertised DDR4-4000MHz kit, the other matter is that you will need to work your system in order to get to that high frequency, this will mean manually inputting your ram, timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS.

Solution
Yes sorry I forgot to specify. I live in Indonesia. I guess I will just have to experiment and start learning how it all works. The only RAM OC I've done so far is activating XMP :p

I'm planning on either upgrading to the B550 Steel Legend, ROG Strix, or Aorus Pro depending on what will be in stock at the time of purchase.

TRENDING THREADS