Question about RAM on a Linux box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I have an '08 Compaq desktop that came with 32 bit Vista and 2 gb of ram. I replaced Vista with Linux Mint 13 (not dual boot). Now, the Compaq specs say that the mobo can take up to 4 gb of ram, but that 32 bit Vista won't see all of that; how much of 4 gb would 32 bit Linux use?

Reason for asking; if it's only going to be able to use like 3 gb out of 4 gb of ram, it would be cheaper for me to buy a 1 gb stick of ram instead of 2 gb (I'd be adding whatever I buy to the 2 gb that's already in there). Thanks!

Solution
It is the same as windows.

32bit is what is limiting it in both cases.

You will see 4gig minus Video ram, BIOS memory, Video BIOS, and a few other minor memories.

System RAM is addressed last, so it gets the memory addresses that are left.

millwright

Distinguished
It is the same as windows.

32bit is what is limiting it in both cases.

You will see 4gig minus Video ram, BIOS memory, Video BIOS, and a few other minor memories.

System RAM is addressed last, so it gets the memory addresses that are left.

Solution

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Millwright, thanks for the tips!

But if I install 64 bit o/s on a 32 bit machine, does it automatically become 64 bit? I thought the processor/mobo had to have support for that built in.

For what it matters, the mobo is an MSI Boston running a Pentium Dual Core E2180.

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks, I'll have to look into that further.

Btw, you may remember me as Tubes4life over at the ARF :D

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks, guys. I did more research, and you are both correct; both cpu and mobo are 64 bit...so my next step is installing 4 gb of ram and also installing 64 bit Linux....since I'm going that far, I think I'm going to install it on a nice new hard drive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.