Question Question about RAM speeds and XMP

Jun 13, 2022
So, i am building new PC, and i do not fully understand RAM speeds and XMP
I am planning to buy 12600kf CPU, it supports DDR4 to 3200mhz, but i saw overclocked ddr4 to 4800, 5333 even. So how this exactly works?
I know for sure that i will need mobo that supports those speeds, so let's say Gigabyte Z690X Gaming X DDR4, it supports to 5333mhz. So i need to buy some 5333 ram? or i overclock slower rams to thoose speeds? and will this CPU even be able to handle this?

RealBeast

Titan
The CPU will be fine with memory that works with the motherboard, and you do not NEED to have the fastest memory that the motherboard can handle unless you have money to burn.

Use the Gigabyte memory support list HERE for the Rev 1.0 board or HERE for the Rev 1.1 model. Select a vendor/speed and there are loads of supported modules.

So, for this CPU i should just buy 3200? There will be no performance increase with 5333?
Well, of course there would be performance increase with 5333, the problem is performance increase from say 3600 level is small while at the same time cost increase is big. It only makes sense if you have way too much money. Otherwise just get 3200 or 3600, those speeds have best performance/$ ratio.