Question Question about RAM's CL and how to be sure what I have know

AnonymousDuck

Honorable
Oct 29, 2014
Hi!

So basically right now I have Kingston HyperX fury 2x 4GB RAM that's 1600 MHZ... Now I'm looking to buy another pair so that it would add up to 16GB's of RAM but the issue is that According to CPU-Z my RAM is CL9... But looking at different pages that sell PC parts it appears that such RAM doesnt exist (1600mhz and 9CL) I only see 1333 mhz in CL9 and 1600 is only in CL10.

So basically if I wanted to buy RAM thats the same speed and brand as my current one I would have to buy with different CL so would that work?

I checked the speed of ram from task manager and CL from CPU-Z is it possible that one of them is showing wrong details?

Thank you.

-Sidenote, is there a program that would show me the exact model of the RAM I have...? I remember it being Kingston HyperX but I remembered that a few years back my motherboard had to be replaced so it got me thinking if it's possible that they also switched my RAM at the store...?

Edit* from CPU-Z looking at the individual RAM slots it says 667mhz per RAM slot, with quick use of calculator I figure that it adds up to 1334= 1333mhz.. So is it just my task bar showing it incorrectly as 1600mhz and I really have 1333mhz ram?

edit**
Okay I've done a bit researching and I noticed it wouldn't cost a lot more to just buy new RAM and replace the old ones completely.. So basically right now I hve DDR3 CL9 1333mhz 2x4GB ram 240pins. And the one I was thinkking about buying is DDR3 CL10 1600mhz 2x8GB and also 240pins, Should it work as the DIMM is the same even though it's different CL and mhz as the old one?

Last edited:
What is your full system?

2x4GB 1600Mhz cl9 leads me to believe its DDR3 ram. We've been in the DDR4 realm for 5 years now so not a hole lot for DDR3 is being made, you will probably just have to get what you can find.

If you download CPU-z the memory and SPD tabs at the top will tell you what ram you have.

AnonymousDuck

Honorable
Oct 29, 2014
What is your full system?

2x4GB 1600Mhz cl9 leads me to believe its DDR3 ram. We've been in the DDR4 realm for 5 years now so not a hole lot for DDR3 is being made, you will probably just have to get what you can find.

If you download CPU-z the memory and SPD tabs at the top will tell you what ram you have.

Yes it's DDR3 SPD section says 667mhz per RAM slot so that would indicate it's 1333mhz instead of the 1600mhz my task bar is showing?

I would upgrade to DDR4 but as you can guess my PC is starting to age so my motherboard (GA-Z77X-UD3H )only has support for DDR3