• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Question about reinstalling windows 10

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Now, I am on Windows 10 and the system is getting slow so I want to clean reinstall again, I remember that Windows 10 wasn't purchased but a free upgrade offered a few years ago. The most recent license I have is an OEM windows 7. Can I still reinstall
Windows 10 or have to go back to Windows 7?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Now, I am on Windows 10 and the system is getting slow so I want to clean reinstall again, I remember that Windows 10 wasn't purchased but a free upgrade offered a few years ago. The most recent license I have is an OEM windows 7. Can I still reinstall
Windows 10 or have to go back to Windows 7?
You can do a clean install of Win 10. You do not need to go back to Win 7 first.
Your system is already fully licensed for 10. A full wipe and reinstall does not negate that.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
You can do a clean install of Win 10. You do not need to go back to Win 7 first.
Your system is already fully licensed for 10. A full wipe and reinstall does not negate that.

Do I have to find out the key first from control panel and copy them first?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Do I have to find out the key first from control panel and copy them first?
No.
You don't have a traditional "license key". Rather...you have a digital entitlement.

A reinstall on this same system...when the OS goes online later, it will (eventually) talk to the activation server farm.
"Oh, this is brannsiu's system...we know this. Activate it."

Also, go into your Microsoft account and verify the OS is linked to this particular system.

Reactions: brannsiu

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
No.
You don't have a traditional "license key". Rather...you have a digital entitlement.

A reinstall on this same system...when the OS goes online later, it will (eventually) talk to the activation server farm.
"Oh, this is brannsiu's system...we know this. Activate it."

Also, go into your Microsoft account and verify the OS is linked to this particular system.

So now, I only need
  1. to backup my personal files
  2. remember the msn / hotmail account I am registering with this computer?
(I have a number of hotmail accounts)
3. create a usb installation media

4. All other printed registered key or key shown on control panel is not necessary?

ASK THE COMMUNITY