Question about reinstalling windows and ubuntu on new SSD

duyhx48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
So I'm new to SSD and about to get a new one. Currently I'm running dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on HDD. I plan on reinstalling Windows 10 on SSD but keep ubuntu on HDD because I only 120gb and don't want to split in between.

Question is once I set the 1st boot drive to SSD does it still recognize HDD as a primary drive and show ubuntu as a boot option in menu?

Solution
Well it would be best to delete all the Windows associated partitions from the drive you're currently dual-booting with Linux. Hopefully this will be enough and there would be no residual files which might "confuse" the computer that there's a second Windows 10 installation.

This should be enough. Let me know how it goes.
Hey there, duyhx48.

If you have two different systems on two separate drives, in most cases you'd have to select which drive you want to boot from every time you want to use a different OS. However with some BIOS/UEFI versions they might both get detected and ask you which one you want to boot to when you start the computer. In your case if you don't remove the old Win 10 installation system you'll have 3 operating system to choose from.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

duyhx48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014

Yes that's my plan is to get rid of the old windows from HDD, is it just manually delete folders or format the whole OS partition?

Hopefully it will detect both OS from both drives without extra tweaks, still waiting for SSD to arrive.
Thanks for your response,

Well it would be best to delete all the Windows associated partitions from the drive you're currently dual-booting with Linux. Hopefully this will be enough and there would be no residual files which might "confuse" the computer that there's a second Windows 10 installation.

This should be enough. Let me know how it goes.

Solution