• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Question about rgb headers?

Apr 29, 2020
whew i never thought i would be making an account to ask a question here but here we go...

so, im building my first pc. i am going for a certain aesthetic, so im kind of limited on some of the stuff i can get. this comes into play with the fans especially, because my problem could be solved with "just get different fans" and i am hardheaded and care too much about the pink and white aesthetic im going for

aaaaaaaanyway
i have all the core components in except for my new motherboard (i had one ordered but canceled it due to some issues with it supposed to have been delivered today, but it hasnt shipped and i am quite impatient, as i have run across every problem imaginable while trying to build this thing and this has been going on for the last month)

this is the motherboard i had my heart set on
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKTZC4M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

the leadup:
no onboard 5v 3 pin argb headers, looks like two 12v 4 pin header

now comes the question:
i have six fans that i have a hub for for the 4 pin pwn to run the fans, but i would like to hook up the argb. i have heard of deepcools converter, however that is proving impossible to find for me, at least for a decent price. i know internals can run a bit pricey but i have seen it advertised everywhere for $15 and you cant find it for less than like. $45 anywhere. i found one on newegg for $23, last night but had to wait until today to order it because of my paycheck, but it was gone when i went to order it

are there any other converters that would be comparable, hopefully at a lower price than that, especially because it only had 3 ports for the headers. i would be willing to pay that or a bit more, even (but ideally around that price range) for something with six ports?
i have found a few options but they are either out of stock everywhere, or way out of my price range

these are the fans that i have
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081JLXRRF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is a controller i saw listed on a site that listed rgb components (the site mostly listed splitters rather than converters, though. or if they did list a converter, they were hubs for 12v 4 pin, and i need 5v 3 pin)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BT8JXSG/ref=twister_B07DYM5CDD?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

theres also this one, which has six 5v 3 pin ports, which is the ideal. i already have one hub stuck to the pack of my case, and would like to keep the extra pieces to a minimum, but the price tag is really turning me off, not going to lie. this is about the most i would be willing to shell out, given the circumstances, though. i just want my pretty lights
https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Addressable-Thermal-Temperature/dp/B07W5BN8LT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1XQ838A29PE5G&dchild=1&keywords=silverstone+addressable+rgb+control+box+lsb02&qid=1588196354&s=electronics&sprefix=silverstone+ad,electronics,257&sr=1-1

or, though unideal, should i bite the bullet and get a motherboard that has the argb header? ill still have to get a hub, but it would probably prove Much easier to find one that just gives me more ports rather than converting.
i really do like the mobo that i had picked out, and it looks like its big brothers that DO support argb are, unfortunately, 2-3x the price and that is impossible for me right now
also, as a side note, i have a ryzen 3 3200g cpu, so i would need something to support that

honestly i feel like the answer to this is just that im up a creek and im going to have to shell out the cash, twice if i want all six of my fans to be lit (or get the 6 port one, which is most likely what i will end up doing, but i would like a second opinion before i order anything else)

tl;dr
building pc for first time on a tight budget with an aesthetic i want to keep that is kinda unusual, have six fans that arent compatible with mobos rgb connection and im having a hard time finding a converter for them, how should i go about this?

sorry for the long post (im the kind of person who takes five paragraphs to say something you can say in three sentences oops) and thanks in advance!

Paperdoc

Glorious
Ambassador
First, let me say there is NO converter to allow you to use the signals from a mobo plain (4-pin 12 VDC) RGB header for a ARGB (3-pin 5 VDC) system. In your case you DO need to find a suitable ARGB Controller / Hub.

The Phanteks Hub does not really suit. It has only 3 output ports and it uses its own non-standard connectors, so getting them to feed your fans would be trouble.

The Silverstone unit is much closer. It has six ARGB ports plus four fan motor ports, so you can control both lights and fan speeds using the included remote control box. Only 4 motor ports might be an issue, but using a couple of Splitters might solve that - connect two fans each to two of the four motor ports. Or, skip the motor ports entirely since you already have a motor Hub to use. The ARGB output ports use unique connectors, but the unit is supplied with cables from those ports ending in connectors that DO fit the common 3-pin ARGB fan lighting cables. My remaining problem, though, is that it says the capacity for feeding power to the ARGB lighting units is 5A total for all ports. The tough part there is the FANS you linked to do not tell us their amperage consumed for the LIGHT portion. It only gives specs for the motor part of the fan. So I cannot be sure whether this Hub can handle six of your fans' lighting systems.

Now, those fans are made and sold by a company called ID Cooling. They also sell their own ARGB Fan Hub system, the Model HA-01, shown here

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/179/name/HA-01 ARGB Fan Hub

I don't know what the pricing is like. It has SEVEN output ports each for fan motors and ARGB lighting units, both with standard port pin configurations so they can work easily. It comes with its own RF remote control box to cover both motor speeds and ARGB displays. You MIGHT use this for manual control of the fan motors, or you MIGHT decide to control them from the mobo automatic system using the Hub you already have. A third option there: the Hub comes with a cable that plugs into a mobo fan header to pick up the PWM speed control signal and return a fan speed reading to the header, so there is likely a way to tell the unit to use the speed control signal from the mobo for automatic fan control. That would eliminate the need for the other fan Hub you say you already have (plan to have?) What I'm thinking, though, is that this unit with 7 outputs should be able to handle six of the same company's ARGB fans.

Reactions: abysroid
Apr 29, 2020
First, let me say there is NO converter to allow you to use the signals from a mobo plain (4-pin 12 VDC) RGB header for a ARGB (3-pin 5 VDC) system. In your case you DO need to find a suitable ARGB Controller / Hub.

The Phanteks Hub does not really suit. It has only 3 output ports and it uses its own non-standard connectors, so getting them to feed your fans would be trouble.

The Silverstone unit is much closer. It has six ARGB ports plus four fan motor ports, so you can control both lights and fan speeds using the included remote control box. Only 4 motor ports might be an issue, but using a couple of Splitters might solve that - connect two fans each to two of the four motor ports. Or, skip the motor ports entirely since you already have a motor Hub to use. The ARGB output ports use unique connectors, but the unit is supplied with cables from those ports ending in connectors that DO fit the common 3-pin ARGB fan lighting cables. My remaining problem, though, is that it says the capacity for feeding power to the ARGB lighting units is 5A total for all ports. The tough part there is the FANS you linked to do not tell us their amperage consumed for the LIGHT portion. It only gives specs for the motor part of the fan. So I cannot be sure whether this Hub can handle six of your fans' lighting systems.

Now, those fans are made and sold by a company called ID Cooling. They also sell their own ARGB Fan Hub system, the Model HA-01, shown here

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/179/name/HA-01 ARGB Fan Hub

I don't know what the pricing is like. It has SEVEN output ports each for fan motors and ARGB lighting units, both with standard port pin configurations so they can work easily. It comes with its own RF remote control box to cover both motor speeds and ARGB displays. You MIGHT use this for manual control of the fan motors, or you MIGHT decide to control them from the mobo automatic system using the Hub you already have. A third option there: the Hub comes with a cable that plugs into a mobo fan header to pick up the PWM speed control signal and return a fan speed reading to the header, so there is likely a way to tell the unit to use the speed control signal from the mobo for automatic fan control. That would eliminate the need for the other fan Hub you say you already have (plan to have?) What I'm thinking, though, is that this unit with 7 outputs should be able to handle six of the same company's ARGB fans.
this is great! thanks for the clarification, too

i think i'll go with the silverstone unit, then. i tried digging for the id-cooling one, but the only places i can find it in stock/not costing an arm/leg are shops based in the philippines and malaysia that don't ship overseas. depressing because the id-cooling hub totally didn't enter my field of vision at first (probably because you can't get it anywhere)

i might just get a splitter and use that for the pwm plugs too
i have the hub because i was using another motherboard from my old pc (it was built years ago and i got it secondhand), and that motherboard was from 2008 and only had one 4 pin fan connector and didn't have rgb at all, so i wasn't worried about the lighting to start
but things happened and i ended up having to replace it, so figured i'd shoot for the cool lighting since my new board could support it ahaha
thankfully it's still within the 30 day return period since i got it in last week, so i can return that and the other converter i got for my old board and put it towards the silverstone uni, so i have fewer things attached to the inside of my case

this is something i literally just thought about, but three of my fans are going to be facing the wrong way to use the lights (i have an inwin 101 case and im using the three fans on the bottom for intake, the led part of the fans are only on one side, which are facing the ground) so a three port hub would be fine. but regardless, I think the silverstone hub is the way to go, since it has the universal connectors and i guess if i decide to throw some light strips in there, i have a few extra ports to play with. whats a new toy if i can't make it look pretty?

nice, thanks a ton! having a second pair of eyes to look at things really helped
i suppose when i get everything running, i'll update with how it all worked out

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS