Question about risers and GPUs

thefatcat1010

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
So right now I have 5 Nvidia 1070 Ti and each has a riser connected. Each riser uses a 6 pin connections while each card uses an 8 pin connect. I understand that 6 pin can handle up to 75w while 8 pin can handle up to 150w, my question is do the risers and the GPU work in tandium to provide power and split the load, or does the GPU run 150w through the 8 pin connection and the risers are just powered by the 6pin in order to transfer data to/from the MoBo? These GPUs are overclocked and when I run them at 85% power they are hovering at or above that 150w Mark and I want to make sure I’m not over powering my connections.

Can someone explain how these two connections work together and how much power they allow?

Solution
Yes, the risers provide power as well. Going by PCIe speck they can provide up to 75W. AMD had some problems with the Rx 480 in the beginning because it was outside of spec and drew more than 75W via PCIe.

Don't use those crappy SATA power adapters if you are tempted. They are a hazard.
Yes, the risers provide power as well. Going by PCIe speck they can provide up to 75W. AMD had some problems with the Rx 480 in the beginning because it was outside of spec and drew more than 75W via PCIe.

Don't use those crappy SATA power adapters if you are tempted. They are a hazard.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS