[SOLVED] Question about router

Feb 24, 2021
Hi I recently had a minidump error with bsod I do think its to do with hardware issue but I read that it could be software related so I installed an Antivirus security program and what is strange as it scanned the network it showed my mac address which is correct yet it showed the router details and the mac address was slightly different (the last digit wasn't the same) as what is clearly shown on the physical router sticker. Could this be mac spoofing by a hacker? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Solution
Don't watch tv shows where they magically click a button and it hacks things. Somebody just studying computing will be lucky to understand how things work when they are properly working. A true hacker is actually very rare that has a massive amount of specilized knowledge that likely takes years to learn. Things the script kiddies can run have been patch/fixed for years most times before the tool is even out.

You have had mulitple people tell you the same thing. Routers can have mulitple mac addresses.

I would be more suspect of the so called security program you are running than any hacker. There is a massive amount of scam security scanning stuff. The somewhat less dishonest ones just try to trick you into upgrading...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi I recently had a minidump error with bsod I do think its to do with hardware issue but I read that it could be software related so I installed an Antivirus security program and what is strange as it scanned the network it showed my mac address which is correct yet it showed the router details and the mac address was slightly different (the last digit wasn't the same) as what is clearly shown on the physical router sticker. Could this be mac spoofing by a hacker? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
No. Each port on the router has to have a MAC address. So the WAN and each LAN port have one. That is why the sticker and the specific port you are connected to don't match.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Most routers nowadays would have two or more MAC addresses... WAN port, LAN port/switch, and WiFi radio.

So, depending on how your PC is connected to the router (wired or WiFi), you'd see different MAC addresses but they should be within the same series.

Unlikley. A router is a really stupid box. It has no ability to load any programs and extremely limited memory. Someone would have to build a custom firmware and then find a way to load it. It is hard enough to get factory firmware updates loading into most router when you have them in your own house. It would be almost impossible for a hacker. It is a lot of effort to write software to hack so people that do it want to make money for their effort. There is little money to be made hacking a router that some random persons house.

It depends on the router. Some have different mac addresses assigned to the wan and lan ports. Changing the mac address has little value since mac addresses can never leave your house.

Feb 24, 2021
Ok I should have stated more clearly. The internet security program I was using it has a tool that shows network information, both the Nvidia ethernet controller which I know is the mac of the motherboard and it also shows the router details that the pc is connected, I know the mac address of the PC itself, however on this tool when it displays the router Details the model, ip details etc the mac address is not the same as what is on the router sticker on the actual router its strange, any ideas?

And also there is a neighbour studying computing that lets just say we dont get along with other I was going to ask him is he hacking lol

Last edited:
Don't watch tv shows where they magically click a button and it hacks things. Somebody just studying computing will be lucky to understand how things work when they are properly working. A true hacker is actually very rare that has a massive amount of specilized knowledge that likely takes years to learn. Things the script kiddies can run have been patch/fixed for years most times before the tool is even out.

You have had mulitple people tell you the same thing. Routers can have mulitple mac addresses.

I would be more suspect of the so called security program you are running than any hacker. There is a massive amount of scam security scanning stuff. The somewhat less dishonest ones just try to trick you into upgrading to a more expensive paid version when you have no issues in the first place.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution