Question about routers

roy132

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Hi guys
Does router+modem with dsl connector in the back can supply me a 1Gbps internet connecton if in the specification it have 1200mbps over wi-fi ?
Is it possible becuch vdal2 is only capable 100mbps

Solution
If it comes in via a coax port it is likely going to need a cable modem. Even though technically there are likely a number of modems that will work you are going to be restricted to the ones the ISP has on their list of supported devices. Since the ISP actually controls the modem they do not want a lot of different brands of devices they must know how to support.

Almost all routers with gigabit lan and wan ports can support a gigabit internet connection. That is only via ethernet though. There is no wifi that can come even close to gigabit speeds. The router though is only 1/2 the wifi connection. The wifi radios in your end device likely will limit you well before the router does.
That is because the marketing guys are telling lies. One of the big ones is they add the speed of the 2.4g radio to to the 5g radio even though a end single end device can not use both radios at the same time. They do things like add transmit and receive speed together even though wifi is half duplex. They also "forget" that you can only get those speeds in some artificial lab condition. So pretty much the 1200 number means little when it comes to actual performance.

Maybe if you got really lucky using a wifi device on each radio and sitting really close to the router you could get more traffic that a 100mbps dsl connection.

roy132

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Ok i see so i got a tp-link deco m5 and also modem form my isp t&w t128 and my isp only work with phone line vdsl and lets say they will tell me they have 1gbps option i will need to buy new modem and router and if so can you give me link for examples for router and modem ?
And by saying they have 1gbps option they need to change to coaxial port ?

(My computer is conected by lan to my router)

If it comes in via a coax port it is likely going to need a cable modem. Even though technically there are likely a number of modems that will work you are going to be restricted to the ones the ISP has on their list of supported devices. Since the ISP actually controls the modem they do not want a lot of different brands of devices they must know how to support.

Almost all routers with gigabit lan and wan ports can support a gigabit internet connection. That is only via ethernet though. There is no wifi that can come even close to gigabit speeds. The router though is only 1/2 the wifi connection. The wifi radios in your end device likely will limit you well before the router does.

Solution