Question Question about rtx 3060 and monitor with DVI-D

raciel1921

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
Hello everyone, I want to upgrade my old gpu which is a GTX 970 because it's struggling to keep 60fps with the "most recent" titles like elden ring, yakuza like a dragon etc.

My pc is:

Ryzen 5 2600
16gb ram
Gtx 970
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W Gold
mother asus prime b450m-a

I'm using a Dell 2009W which only has a dvi-d and vga output, I don't want to buy a new monitor, I don't care to play at high resolutions or Hz, I'm fine with my current resolution at 1680x1050 at 60Hz.

Here is how the connector looks:
62hbP6j.jpg

link to the manual: https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_display/dell-2009w_user's guide_en-us.pdf

the thing is the card I want to buy or basically any new card that I could pick in that range (rx 6600 seems interesting) has hdmi and displayport only.
Can I use a Converter from dvi-d to hdmi? (not the active ones) and will it work and if so will the image look bad?

Again I only want to keep playing at 1680x1050 at 60hz.

This is what i'm going to buy for example:

iUpBMSX.png

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That cable will work fine. No need active, passive is totally fine and all Hdmi to Dvi cables are bi-directional and can be used either way so no specific direction of cable necessary.

Reactions: raciel1921
You should be able to use that. They are both digital input. However 1680x1050 is closer to like 900p or 720p. A cheaper card would probably do what you want. I know you say you don’t want to go higher resolution but as someone who gamed on 1080p for years, I finally made the move to 1440p and that was one of the biggest visual upgrades for me in years.

Reactions: raciel1921

raciel1921

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
Thanks both of you for answering :)

@ohio_buckeye I'm sure you are right and my idea is to buy a new monitor eventually (probably in 1 year from now) but right now I have the money to upgrade only my gpu and I want to buy something decent, no point in buying a gpu that is slightly better than my current one, there is also a very slight money difference between a decent card from a very crappy old card.
For example the price of a rx 6500 xt is almost the same as ae rx 6600, a 1660super is at the same price as a 3060... just crazy (this is in my country where I live btw not in USA)

As I said before the Gtx 970 is struggling to run the "current" games with everything on high details at 60fps, i just hate having to put games on medium or low setting, for example I was able to run yakuza like a dragon everything on high at 50fps more or less but Judgment it just runs at 40-45fps top and using FSR makes it look very blurry and bad (for me at least), so for the moment this should have to do.

raciel1921

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
@ohio_buckeye I'm from Argentina, probably worst country in the world to buy pc hardware, nothing I can do really, prices are what they are and I can buy what it's available and nothing else, the 6650 xt is around $550, anything beyond 400 is out of my budget-

raciel1921

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
A bit of a bump on this thread.
So I ended up buying a RX 6600 XT for around 300 dollars (the asrock RX 6600 XT Challenger D 8GB OC) I also bought the hdmi to dvi adapter to use my dvi monitor, works perfectly (at 1080p 60hz reso max)
The card perform as expected, I'm really happy with it, also it runs extremely cool compared to my gtx 970 and it also chugs almost the same amount of power if not less so yeah just very happy about it.
Btw adrenaline is 100% better to use than nvidia drivers, so many cool options, nvidia was extremely clunky and outdated and the gforce experience software or whatever is called forces you to have an account and log in before using..so i never did.
Anyway, enough ranting. Thanks everyone for helping me out :)