Question Question about running x16/x16 multi-GPU on various CPU/motherboard combos

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
So my next build I'm going SLI with the NVLink (in before not worth it, shaming, etc... okay good, got that out of the way, lets proceed!). The PC will be used for gaming and web browsing 98% of it's lifetime.

That said, I was ready to go for the 9900k, due to the almost purely gaming reasons above. But reading further into it, It seems that none of the 9900k/z390 combos do x16/x16 SLI at all (or are there? I honestly don't know for sure) . Most people seem to say that x8/x8 is fine and will result in no losses or gains more then a frame or two a second. But now I came across (One of the extreme rare ones it seems) a benchmark that tested this with the latest GPUs which I intend to SLI with, in the Ashes of the Singularity: Explicit Multi-GPU PCIe Bandwidth Test section. There seems to be a 20% gain from x8/x8 to x16/x16.

My question is, is that an outlier because as the article mentions uses explicit multi-GPU via the PCIe bus? Or is it not actually an outlier because most game that have an SLI profile use multi-GPU via the bus lanes and don't lean that much on the NVLink?

Follow up question, if the above is true and x16/x16 does end up actually performing that much better then x8/x8 with a SLI setup. Does that mean that for a SLI setup, the R3900X and it's x570 due to it's x16/x16 capabilities (from what I read seems that only they do x16/x16 2-way SLI?) , does actually become the better gaming CPU in my case? I'm all very confused by this as I don't build a lot of PCs, any insight would be appreciated.

PS: Are there any other benchmarks with SLI 2080ti's out there that test this x8/x8 vs x16/x16 thing in deeper and on more games to help me make my decision?

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
most game don't have good sli/crossfire support. don't waste your money.

(in before not worth it, shaming, etc... okay good, got that out of the way, lets proceed!)

I don't like upgrading my PC every year or so I go big and future-proof for 4 years then I repeat the process. It's my money and I don't feel like I've wasted it for the past 8 years, and I probably still won't now. I'm going with a SLI build as I have for my past 2 builds (8 years). This is not the question in this thread. Please don't bother replying if it's just to tell me that SLI is "bad" as that's not the information I'm looking for, thank you.

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
I started another thread elsewhere, someone pointed out the i7-9800x/x299 combo who supports enough lanes for x16/x16. So I might just go for that. Still undecided though.

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
Doesn't the AM4 socket with x570 chipset support x16/x16 too? I'm fairly certain it does, could be wrong though, like I said I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to PCI lanes. Those are the two options I'm considering at the moment i7-9800x/x299 or R9 3900X/x570. If I were to go with a combo that can run both cards at x16 simultaneously.

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
Does that make a difference though. Isn't x16 speed off the CPU, and x16 speed of the chipset basically the same thing? Or is running x16 off the chipset worst then running it off the CPU?