[SOLVED] Question about Ryzen CPU

IDProG

Distinguished
Before I start the thread,

DISCLAIMER FOR MODERATORS:
This thread is NOT about building or designing a PC case. Please do not merge this thread to that one.

I had Ryzen 5 1500X inside my past build.

I have sold the build (with GTX 1070) for $750 without ever overclocking the CPU.

I am planning for an upgrade in the next 6 months for a 4K gaming PC.

This is my current established parts list (it definitely can change based on changes in the future):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
Motherboard: a B550 Mini ITX board
GPU: Possibly Nvidia RTX 3070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Storage: 512GB PCIe 3.0 SSD + 1TB 7200rpm 2.5" HDD
Case: Fully Custom Mini ITX case
PSU: Enermax Revolution SFX 550W

You'll notice three things:
1. "That 3100 will bottleneck the GPU"
No, it won't, not in 4K gaming, at least.

2. " Why change CPU? Why not just use the old one?"
Here's why. First, an assembled full build has more value than separate parts, and can be sold for more money. Second, there are not a lot of parts that I can use: My motherboard could not be used because it was Micro ATX, my 3.5" HDD would not fit, my PSU was ATX and would not fit, and the others (GPU and RAM) would be sold anyway, since they were outdated and that's the point of the upgrade.

3. "How about 1600 AF?"
My country does not sell 1600 AF. Buying it from Amazon would make the price after shipping the same as 2600, so it's kind of pointless.

My questions are:
1. How long do you think it would need to finally make the CPU a bottleneck to the GPU (even in 4K) if I upgraded the GPU to a more powerful one in the future?

2. How high of an overclock can you reach for the CPU without increasing any voltage (you can use any Ryzen CPU, doesn't have to be a 4C/8T ones)?

Any answer will be appreciated.

Solution
But this "low-end quad core" CPU is basically 7700K, right? Why do you think that it would bottleneck immediately?

As far as I know, overclocking is basically only affected by temperature, and only if the difference is huge, like using LN2.

Maybe I haven't made myself clear enough:
  1. Assume that the VRM can tank even infinite overclocking
  2. Assume that the other condition is a pretty standard, generic condition (normal overclocking with an AIO or NH-D15)
Because current games are already starting to use more than 8 threads - there is a reason why many websites consider the Ryzen 1600/2600/3600 the starting point of a build. As for overclock, with AMD the best solution is to use PBO - and you don't need humongous...
My questions are:
1. How long do you think it would need to finally make the CPU a bottleneck to the GPU (even in 4K) if I upgraded the GPU to a more powerful one in the future?

Since the 3 3100 is a low-end quad core, it will as soon as it is released.

2. How high of an overclock can you reach for the CPU without increasing any voltage (you can use any Ryzen CPU, doesn't have to be a 4C/8T ones)?
Too many variables....motherboard, cooling, components,
Not two CPUs are exactly the same.

IDProG

Distinguished
Since the 3 3100 is a low-end quad core, it will as soon as it is released.
But this "low-end quad core" CPU is basically 7700K, right? Why do you think that it would bottleneck immediately?

Too many variables....motherboard, cooling, components,
Not two CPUs are exactly the same.
As far as I know, overclocking is basically only affected by temperature, and only if the difference is huge, like using LN2.

2. Assume that the other condition is a pretty standard, generic condition (normal overclocking with an AIO or NH-D15)

Because current games are already starting to use more than 8 threads - there is a reason why many websites consider the Ryzen 1600/2600/3600 the starting point of a build. As for overclock, with AMD the best solution is to use PBO - and you don't need humongous cooling for it.
The 3100 is considered a good CPU for a budget build (FHD and lower) that doesn't use an iGPU, not a 4K build.

Solution

IDProG

Distinguished
Because current games are already starting to use more than 8 threads - there is a reason why many websites consider the Ryzen 1600/2600/3600 the starting point of a build. As for overclock, with AMD the best solution is to use PBO - and you don't need humongous cooling for it.
The 3100 is considered a good CPU for a budget build (FHD and lower) that doesn't use an iGPU, not a 4K build.
Well, I just watched a 4K gameplay of 7700K with RTX 2080 Ti, and I guess yes, even at 4K, 7700K is nearing its limit at around 70-90% usage.

FYI, 3070 is rumored to be 10% slower than 2080 Ti. So, which CPU do you think I should buy?

mitch gave you the answer

No quite accurate.

Without taking in consideration other variables and taking in consideration temperature only...a good quality AIO will beat the NH-D15 by a few degrees.
That does not imply the AIO are better or are a better buy than air coolers.

TRENDING THREADS