[SOLVED] Question about setting a router as an extender

Oct 3, 2019
I have two brand new routers. One router is set up and running perfectly. The other router was "lost", but I recently found it. I would like to know if I can take the router I just found and turn it into an extender for the existing one. Both routers are the Linksys EA6350 AC1200+ Dual-Band WiFi Router. I have the WiFi's named (using an example) MyRouter and MyRouter_2G, being the 5G and 2G bands respectively. Do I name the two bands the same as the "source" router, MyRouter and MyRouter_2G? Or do I create 2 new names (i.e. MyExtender and MyExtender_2G) and when I am in the location that's farther away from the source router, do I connect to the new names on the extender and it will pass the info from the extender to the source??

kanewolf

Titan
I have two brand new routers. One router is set up and running perfectly. The other router was "lost", but I recently found it. I would like to know if I can take the router I just found and turn it into an extender for the existing one. Both routers are the Linksys EA6350 AC1200+ Dual-Band WiFi Router. I have the WiFi's named (using an example) MyRouter and MyRouter_2G, being the 5G and 2G bands respectively. Do I name the two bands the same as the "source" router, MyRouter and MyRouter_2G? Or do I create 2 new names (i.e. MyExtender and MyExtender_2G) and when I am in the location that's farther away from the source router, do I connect to the new names on the extender and it will pass the info from the extender to the source??
When you say "extender" do you want a wired or wireless connection between the two devices ?

kanewolf

Titan
Solution