Question about shipping a computer. Please help!

motti15

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I am going to be moving overseas and have a mid-tower custom PC I built that I need to ship overseas. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on the best way to ship it? I was thinking of taking out most of the components like the GPU, HD, SSD and put that in my carry on and put the rest of the computer nicely packed with plenty of protection in my luggage. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

motti15

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I'm using the Hyper cooler 212 inside. I was thinking of leaving that attached still and just using the foamed to fill the void so it won't bounce around. Would it be best to use anti-static foam inside the computer?

Last edited:

motti15

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I see. Would you take the HD, GPU, and cooler with you in your carry on? It just seems easier to put the computer in my luggage as it won't be as expensive as shipping it. Just trying to figure out if it would be safe in a hard-shell luggage.

motti15

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I see, thank you for your suggestions! I will look into doing that. I assume that TSA would have no issue with me transporting HDs and GPU in my carry on, haha. I'll get anti-static bags for those pieces too.

motti15

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
Ohh I misread that. So I can transport the parts of the PC, they just have to check them at the TSA I assume.

USAFRet

Titan
HDD and SSD...thousands of those get shipped all across the world, every day. No need to take it out and baby it.
GPU and CPU cooler...probably take those off and put in your luggage. Not carry on.

But also...how do you think a prebuilt PC gets from the factory in China to a house in Omaha or Utrecht? It comes all assembled.

motti15

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I see what you mean. I just didn't want to ship everything in tact just in case there was an issue and I didn't have my HD any longer. That would suck to lose everything. I just might put mid tower with the motherboard, ram, and some other cables into my checked bag and keep the rest of the stuff with my in my carry on.

USAFRet

Titan
Obviously, you also need a full backup of all your data before this move.
No matter how you transport the drive, BadThings can happen.

In your carryon? Your bag gets dropped.
In your luggage? The ramprat tosses it.
Or, it gets lost completely.

Which is more important...your data, or a cheap physical drive?

TRENDING THREADS