Question about SLI with two GPUs.

a9ch4f

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
I currently have a setup where I have my GPU (MSI GTX 970) plugged into my primary monitor, which is used for gaming. To its side is my secondary monitor, which is plugged into my motherboard, which is used for videos, temperature management, and other stuff. If I were to install a second GTX 970, would it yield more performance, or would it be useless, as it isn't plugged into my primary monitor?

Solution
If your MB does SLI and the 2nd slot is not x4 lanes, the two cards act as one when used in SLI mode. Therefore, nothing will change as far as wiring connections. You will still use the dual cards as one card with 2 x GPUs. The main monitor will stay plugged into the 1st card, and the SLI bridge will connect the 2 cards together as one.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If your MB does SLI and the 2nd slot is not x4 lanes, the two cards act as one when used in SLI mode. Therefore, nothing will change as far as wiring connections. You will still use the dual cards as one card with 2 x GPUs. The main monitor will stay plugged into the 1st card, and the SLI bridge will connect the 2 cards together as one.

Solution