[SOLVED] Question about sound card and speakers

Jan 16, 2020
I currently have a set of Bose companion ($99). They sound great, I Just want them louder, or may upgrade. If I am just looker for more volume, would I be ok in getting a soundblaster AE-5 card? Does that card have a built in AMP? I know it has an AMP to the headphones, just not sure if the DAC/AMP is for speakers as well. Would it be worth it?

Secondly I was considering getting an Bose 300 soundbar and using the optical along with a woofer and connecting to that card. The card doesn't support Dolby, so does that render that a useless Idea?

Bottom line is this. I want to upgrade my sound. I want to stick with Bose(even though I like Klipsh also) and to make it clear, my volume is 100,... I would like it if it had 150 volume if you understand. I just need more volume and debating the bass.

Lastly, I may just go with headphones. Sound would I want to use the internal or external version of sound card?

Solution
No, it will just sit at my desk. still not sure if the amp is for headphones only or not. guess external g6 will power speakers and heaphones (amp sound to both, not just headphones)
Well I’m assuming the speakers just have a usual 3.5mm jack so i would imagine it would be just fine. I have a sound blaster z and it works no different than a typical headphone jack just amps it up a bit
Jan 16, 2020
Well it boils down to are you gonna use it elsewhere? The benefit of the internal card is having more ports, either one should boost the sound levels

No, it will just sit at my desk. still not sure if the amp is for headphones only or not. guess external g6 will power speakers and heaphones (amp sound to both, not just headphones)

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Well I’m assuming the speakers just have a usual 3.5mm jack so i would imagine it would be just fine. I have a sound blaster z and it works no different than a typical headphone jack just amps it up a bit

Solution
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah, actually looking at the soundblaster x G6. But yeah my bose speakers for my pc are just 3.5mm jacks. I do have optical on my tv though, wonder if I could use it for those as well. It has a usb port on back.