Question about splitting internet speed.

Apr 3, 2018
Hello,
so I want to connect this new router I bought to my modem via ethernet cable, and I would like to know if once connected I can split the internet in the sense that the modem will have its own ethernet/wifi with lets say 10MB/s limit (half of total internet I currently have), and the router also its own ethernet/wifi with 10MB/s limit so that neither overpowers the other and saps all the speed.

Solution
If 10Mb (megabit) is the limit you want to impose on the second router, you might be able to force the connection speed between the two devices to 10Mbit. Otherwise you would be at the mercy of whatever QOS functionality the first router has.

kanewolf

Titan
If 10Mb (megabit) is the limit you want to impose on the second router, you might be able to force the connection speed between the two devices to 10Mbit. Otherwise you would be at the mercy of whatever QOS functionality the first router has.

Solution

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Without QoS (traffic shaping), you're not going to be able to impose limits on either device. If your router supports this, you can prevent it from using more than the 10MB, but the modem will still be able to pull more. Theoretically, if both are pulling down large downloads at the same time, it would be balanced, but there's not way to guarantee this without using something like a Cisco or Fortigate appliance.

Apr 3, 2018
My current internet speed is 200 megabits/s, so I want to limit each router to only use up around 10 megabytes so neither saps the other of internet. I am going to put a router in my garden office connected via ethernet to the modem in my house. I want to do this because I share my house with my brother and we both play a lot of online games.
Sorry for the dumb question but what is QoS/Traffic shaping?
Also, how would I know if I have access to it?

TRENDING THREADS