Question Question about SSD.

roadrage0446

Reputable
Oct 28, 2017
Im running out of space on my hard drive and was wondering if i could get an external SSD to run my games off of. Could i just use the ssd for games and will there be an improvement in FPS or do i have to install windows on it also? Im a bit confused on how SSD's work.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Don't get an external SSD. Depending on your budget and your motherboard, I would recommend to get an NVMe SSD if your Mobo supports an M.2 drive (because they are the fastest). If you can't fit one of those into your budget, get a 2.5 SATA SSD. They are still going to be extremely fast at booting up games. Unfortunately, SSD's will have no impact on in game performance, they will just speed up the time it takes for you to get though loading screens.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
You also should be able to keep your HDD in the system, most cases have multiple HDD/SSD slots so you can install more storage. You could install Windows to the SSD if you want but just make sure you get the file from the current windows on your computer or else you would have to re-do all your windows settings.