Question about storage..

seanvs

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hi,

So here's my situation. I have a 60gb ssd and a 500gb hdd. My intention is to use my ssd for boot and a few games exclusively. The thing is, a lot of things that I install go directly on the ssd. How do I change it so that everytime I install something, it goes on my hdd by default? My ssd is labelled C: and my hdd E: if that helps../

algreary

Distinguished
May 25, 2009

Somethings don't run properly unless they're on the OS drive so I'd be careful about what you place on your other drive, and I would undo the registry hacks mentioned by Ken when you are not installing your third party programs. So either take note of the real registry keys (or search my name and slimming down windows 7 re: some registry hacks for just this purpose.) I have used those hacks in the past (successfully for a year) but came undone with my antivirus program updating to another drive, and apparently some of the big companies security software needs to update to your OS drive. I had to reinstall windows 7 as I had stuffed up my windows intaller - most likely through this registry hacking practice.

The best way is to make sure you ALWAYS use the custom install on every program you use and change the drive that way.

But if you want to go on, other programs that I think are of note that want to write to C: drive without giving you custom folder installation are - big hardware companies - logitech / Nvidea / Gigabyte (for programs that run mouse / webcam / keyboard options etc), piriforms software - (CCleaner, Defraggler etc) and I think Microsoft office (which I don't use so can't confirm) - all of these can be changed though the hack mentioned by Ken, but like I said it can lead to trouble.

60 GB can easily contain windows + all your software (not games) and still leave a third empty, which i think it is recommended to leave some empty.

Goodluck

algreary

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Just to confuse issues - maybe I ran into trouble because I wasn't consistent with my installation file, and perhaps it shouldn't be changed back once the registry hack has been implemented. Just a thought.

Without counting my games file my OS + large number of programs are taking up 19GB of my SSD, I chose not to go with the hack at all this installation, and even though custom installing I'm placing my programs onto the SSD (4GB). So my windows and no customisable installation programs takes up 15GB.

TRENDING THREADS