Question Question about stress testing

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
So hey guys, I am encountering a problem with stress testing. I am trying to find out if my GPU or PSU is the problem (most likely the PSU)
But the problem is, if I keep stress testing, especially if the PC turns off (no signal) or keeps restarting, after every stress test, am I at risk of breaking my system? I just got my Mobo, RAM, and proc around 3 days ago...
Thank you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Depends on what component is the culprit to a degree.

But generally speaking, your PC is more likely shutting down to prevent itself damage - so it's likely actually protecting itself. For example if it is shutting down as the stress test is raising your CPU temp too high, then your CPU is protecting itself from damage, not damaging itself.

If however it's PSU based , then if the PSU is bad quality (which being as I've never heard of that PSU, I suspect it is) then you could be risking damage every time you stress test it.

Obviously I have no idea what issues you are encountering and what stress testing you are doing, but if you are encountering issues, IMO an initial guess at face value is I would suspect PSU first - only because it's quality is questionable.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
No profanity
Depends on what component is the culprit to a degree.

But generally speaking, your PC is more likely shutting down to prevent itself damage - so it's likely actually protecting itself. For example if it is shutting down as the stress test is raising your CPU temp too high, then your CPU is protecting itself from damage, not damaging itself.

If however it's PSU based , then if the PSU is bad quality (which being as I've never heard of that PSU, I suspect it is) then you could be risking damage every time you stress test it.

Obviously I have no idea what issues you are encountering and what stress testing you are doing, but if you are encountering issues, IMO an initial guess at face value is I would suspect PSU first - only because it's quality is questionable.
Well I am using Kombustor atm because (no signal) happens when I stress test it. So it's either the GPU or PSU. In my old rig my Rx 570 and PSU never did this ------. Now that I've upgraded to a b450m mortar with the ryzen 3 2200g, this ----- happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
What GPU temperatures do you reach when stress testing?
Is your BIOS fully up to date?
Are all drivers up to date?
70-75 degrees
Yes it is. I just flashed earlier to the latest BIOS
Drivers seem to be fully updated according to iobit driver booster and some manual driver updates I did myself.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would probably try running the GPU in another rig and stress testing, if it doesn't fault, it's could be the PSU.
Do you have OC done in any way?

Just the PSU quality is questionable, which is why it is first suspect, any irregularities in power output at high loads could easily cause issues.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
I would probably try running the GPU in another rig and stress testing, if it doesn't fault, it's could be the PSU.
Do you have OC done in any way?

Just the PSU quality is questionable, which is why it is first suspect, any irregularities in power output at high loads could easily cause issues.
Don't have another rig but I'll find someone who can test it out for me.
I haven't ever OCed... Was planning to though. Sigh.

New development though. Played PUBGM for a few minutes, monitored GPU temps and they didn't even get close to 60° until the screen turned black (no signal) then suddenly restarted.
I really have a feeling this is a PSU thing now.