Question about system going into "idle"

K0BRA

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hey, I just finished making my build yesterday. I have a question, it has been running fine all day, played a good number of hours on it. The cpu temperature has been constant around 30 - 35 degrees cels, and the gpu has been doing pretty good as well. Now the question, its rest time for me, and i left my computer on to download a game that came with my graphics card, but just now i saw the fans (they make a medium bit of noise because of the rpm, and the lights are pretty bright) go off. The monitor was already dark because of the idle, and my front fan and led went off as well. I figured that some sort of reboot was going to happen (maybe antivirus or installation of something idk) but it just stood like that for a minute. I figured let me re-boot it, so i press my power button and the thing just fires up its fan and the monitor pops on and the OS is still up and running as if the computer was in a screen saver. The case was cool as all winter. The Power LED on the case isnt plugged in, so I have no clue if the system really shut down.

Is it possible for a system case to practically shut off, if it has nothing to really cool? I mean I didnt know BIOS could handle case fans. All of the fans (well idk if the power supply fan went off as well, just the ones with the lights) went off. i just want some input, no harm seems done i just want knowledge. Thanks in advance

Oh probably a good idea to post what I'm using lol..
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan (I have 2 Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan for the opt)

The fans that have LED's I plugged into the power supply (OCZ ZT Series 550W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom) These were the fans that were noticeable. The other fans are plugged into the motherboard, I guess I should of checked to see if those were spinning.

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
It just went into sleep mode. I think most go into sleep mode after 30 mins. You can change when it does that by going to your control panel click on hardware and sounds then you should see "change when the computer sleeps" under the power options.