Question About System On Tiger Direct

All three cores will be running at 2.4GHz. Not sure you will be doing much gaming or graphics work, but that system will be just fine for a basic PC. Your upgrade options are limited being a bit dated (DDR2, AM2+, etc...). The Seagate hard drive is OK at best...

What is your budget for a PC? We may be able to do better. If you want more build advise, please check the link below for more info we will need.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

iceblade2097

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
The computer is for my Dad, he doesn't do really any gaming unless those free flash games count. Main thing he does is check email and stocks and word processing. His computer that he was using died to lightening frying both the mother board and the power supply. A new power supply was bought in hopes that was all that was fried ended up not being the case.(See link below on power supply specs). He was using an old AMD Athalon 2000, with 512 mb of DDR 1. So given how old his computer was figured it might be more cost efficient to upgrade him up to newer specs than try to find replacement parts for his old rig.

Price Range I think is no more than $300ish.

Approximate Purchase Date: (this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: ($0-300ish) After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Word Processing, surfing the internet, watching movies, run windows XP maybe vista or 7 in the years to come)

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182202

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (Any reputable site)

Country of Origin: (USA)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Any will do)

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: (1600x1200) I think

Additional Comments: (Quiet PC preferred, two PCI slots in case on-board sound or Ethernet port ever blow)

Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz 95W Triple-Core - $75

Motherboard: OPEN BOX - ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ - $92

Graphics Card: Onboard HD 4250

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 1.5v CL9 - $37

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB - $60

Case: APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case - $25

Power Supply: Corsair CX500 500w - $40 after MIR

DVD Burner: Sony Black 24X - $20

$349

-AM3+ motherboard for a future CPU (Bulldozer) upgrade
-16x PCIe slot if you decide to add a GPU
-Two open memory slots
-SATA 6.0GB/s and USB 3.0
-PSU is oversized, but priced right and large enough to handle GPU and CPU upgrades.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
look on tiger direct for the asus k52f-bbr5, its the one i bought for 300 and it is great, it has integrated graphics but other than that its a great little machine, dual core processor 2ghz, 3gb ram, 15.6 inch screen. and if your not doing serious gaming it is more than plenty fast enough. and even with 2 day shipping, it was only 317$!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7189127