[SOLVED] question about taskbar settings

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
i have an issue with my taskbar resetting to default settings when i set it manually to 2 levels. this is the response i got from microsoft.. i just reset my PC.. and in the windows 10 home section of reply. i dont have an EXPLORER folder under POLICIES... so if i dont have it. what am i supposed to do?? thanks in advance.

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

You can use the taskbar for more than just seeing your apps and finding out what time it is. You have an option to make it look how you want, manage your calendar, pin your favorite apps to it and so on. However, regarding the taskbar issue that keeps resetting to its default setting, you may try with the steps listed below and see if it helps.

If you’re a Windows 10 Home user, you may try with the Registry editor:

Type regedit on the Search menu and double click on it.

Narrow down to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Right click on Explorer and choose New > D Word (32-bit) Value and type TakbarLockAll.

Double click on it and set it value to 1(Lock all Taskbar settings).

To go back to the default setting, change its value to 0(Unlock all Taskbar settings) or you can delete the key.

Last edited:
Solution
It took me awhile to realize you mean policies, PLOCIES. was making me go huh?

You not only one, I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies and there is no explorer folder in mine either.

I guess that is what you get from Microsoft help.

shame you didn't ask him about it when you asked in May - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/eb3019e2-5e49-49f5-afda-a94695f8b1f3?auth=1 and before they locked the thread.

Is your user linked to a Microsoft logon?
you can turn off theme sync and see if it remembers
Go to settings/account/Sync yoiur settings and turn off Theme.

restart and see if it changes, it shouldn't

Colif

Win 11 Master

You not only one, I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies and there is no explorer folder in mine either.

shame you didn't ask him about it when you asked in May - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/eb3019e2-5e49-49f5-afda-a94695f8b1f3?auth=1 and before they locked the thread.

Solution

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015

sorry about the typo of policies LOL and to make it worse.. i did it in caps.. i fixed the word and i think i fixed the issue.. i went back into the registry and added Explorer folder under Policies.. it seems to work after i made changes in that folder.. we will see over time. but thanks for the reply..