question about the contents of layout.ini

Hello,
my layout.ini contains references to big avi files and databases,
used by various programs.

Is this is what is meant by application monitoring?

Whats going to happen when the system does the partial defragment
every third day?
Is it going to attempt to "optimize" a 500mb multimedia file?

Thanks for any info.

Dave

Why wait three boots, find out now...

Start | Run | Paste:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Click OK

DFRGNTFS.EXE & DEFRAG.EXE will run. Assuming your disk is formatted NTFS.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:lfqno01cd6aob693t2llmi9irs74hbi0s6@4ax.com,
datest <datest@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello,
> my layout.ini contains references to big avi files and databases,
> used by various programs.
>
> Is this is what is meant by application monitoring?
>
> Whats going to happen when the system does the partial defragment
> every third day?
> Is it going to attempt to "optimize" a 500mb multimedia file?
>

> Thanks for any info.
>
> Dave

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:13:57 -0700, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Why wait three boots, find out now...
>
>Start | Run | Paste:
>
>Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
>
>Click OK
>
>DFRGNTFS.EXE & DEFRAG.EXE will run. Assuming your disk is formatted NTFS.
Hi Wes,
well the fat32 defrag ran for about 15 minutes, I've got to believe
that those big multimedia files are a part of it.
How to know for sure?

Why would these big files be included here?
They're volatile, temporary, could be changed or deleted
at anytime. Including 300MB files in the prefetch mechanism
makes no sense.
Any way to exclude certain directories? Any other options?\

Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

I don't know for certain what gets defragged, but the more times
ProcessIdleTasks runs, the less time it takes. Just like defragging your
whole drive.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:96koo05vbicgg5stjbko5evasjmm5b5e4t@4ax.com,
davexnet02 <davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com> hunted and pecked:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:13:57 -0700, "Wesley Vogel"
> <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Why wait three boots, find out now...
>>
>> Start | Run | Paste:
>>
>> Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
>>
>> Click OK
>>
>> DFRGNTFS.EXE & DEFRAG.EXE will run. Assuming your disk is formatted
>> NTFS.
> Hi Wes,
> well the fat32 defrag ran for about 15 minutes, I've got to believe
> that those big multimedia files are a part of it.
> How to know for sure?
>
> Why would these big files be included here?
> They're volatile, temporary, could be changed or deleted
> at anytime. Including 300MB files in the prefetch mechanism
> makes no sense.
> Any way to exclude certain directories? Any other options?\
>
> Or am I misunderstanding something here?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

RobR

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

Hi,

the prefetcher doesn't look on size or if a file is volatile. The best
is
to disable the build in defraggers capabilities of boot optimization
by turning
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction\Enable
to N.
Than you should try mst Defrag (http://www.mstsoftware.com). It's very
fast and it consumes only small memory.
After installing set the key MoveModifiedFilesToEnd (see FAQ) to 2.
Now you'll have always a quick boot and fast data access.

If you like you can read a test on Kickstart News:
http://www.kickstartnews.com/reviews/utilities/mst_defrag_workstation.html

Bye
Rob

On 7 Nov 2004 20:44:47 -0800, RobertR400_1@hotmail.com (RobR) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>the prefetcher doesn't look on size or if a file is volatile. The best
>is
>to disable the build in defraggers capabilities of boot optimization
>by turning
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction\Enable
>to N.
>Than you should try mst Defrag (http://www.mstsoftware.com). It's very
>fast and it consumes only small memory.
>After installing set the key MoveModifiedFilesToEnd (see FAQ) to 2.
>Now you'll have always a quick boot and fast data access.
>
>If you like you can read a test on Kickstart News:
>http://www.kickstartnews.com/reviews/utilities/mst_defrag_workstation.html
>
>Bye
>Rob
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:54:16 -0700, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Dave,
>
>I don't know for certain what gets defragged, but the more times
>ProcessIdleTasks runs, the less time it takes. Just like defragging your
>whole drive.

Wes/Rob, thanks for the info.

Dave