Question about the CPU's integrated video cards

rockakak

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
If I am overclocking my 4770k (on my VII hero mobo) while connected my monitor to the integrated video card, will this affect the overclocking performance (temperatures, processor usage etc). Because when I am overclocking it and I am using the integrated video card it may require more voltage to achieve the speed, and increasing that voltage will increase my overall core temp. So is it better to OC my CPU when i put a video card in the PCI or it doesnt matter?

Solution
it matters a bit, the cpu will need to dedicate some of the max tdp to the graphics card. if you would use the external card only the integrated can in theory switch off leaving more tdp room for the cpu cores. beware that even when using quick sync you are using the integrated graphics. the integrated graphics will automatically switch off when not used so just plugging in to the discreet card should be enough to get your the best overclock possible.
it matters a bit, the cpu will need to dedicate some of the max tdp to the graphics card. if you would use the external card only the integrated can in theory switch off leaving more tdp room for the cpu cores. beware that even when using quick sync you are using the integrated graphics. the integrated graphics will automatically switch off when not used so just plugging in to the discreet card should be enough to get your the best overclock possible.

Solution

rockakak

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

10x man, that was the answer i was looking at