Question about the health of the hard disk

SpinalBlood

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Hello,

I'm writing here to ask something to the community's experts since lately my pc has been acting strange. My system is running very, very slow at random times, even during the boot phase before Windows is loading. Sometimes even the safe mode is slow in loading. How slow it is is pretty random, sometimes it's VERY slow, sometimes a bit less, sometimes no slowness at all

Since the boot signals I'm not too sure if it's a Windows' problem or a virus but rather a hardware problem; I first checked my RAM with a program called memtest86 but there were no errors reported

It has then happened that at the boot phase my SATA 3 hard disk was not recognized so it might be the culprit even though Windows' scandisk reported no errors

I downloaded a program called CrystalDiskInfo which seems kind of common/reliable and it shows the following:

clip2018-10-21at06.133ldoa.png

Since there are some yellow lights, I have some questions:

1 - Can this be fixed somehow or is the situation bad for the hard disk so that I should backup / replace it asap?
2 - Could it be the reason the pc is running slow so that if I simply reinstall Windows on a new HD it should run fine with the rest of the hardware unchanged?
3 - Are there some "azure" values that could still be considered as worth noting?
4 - Is 28000 hours average as a hard disk lifespan?

Thanks in advance

If I was you, I'd be on my way back from nearest store with a new hard drive. Backup immediately (online, offline) your data, starting with most important / irreplaceable one. I'd leave downloads, music and videos for last.

SpinalBlood, yes backing up your info is a must in this case. Also, you may contact support here if need be.

Also, have a good back up plan in place for the future.

The conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method. Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose.
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example).
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

@SpinalBlood, your drive has 0x6800 bad sectors that have been replaced with spares. Another 0x1AC8 are pending replacement. These are hexadecimal numbers. In decimal these numbers are 26,624 and 6856 respectively. That said, these are probably logical sectors (ie LBAs). The number of bad physical sectors would be 1/8 th of these numbers.

Just for laughs, does the drive get a passing grade from SeaTools?