question about the new service pack 2

I have had a lot of problems since putting the service pack 2 on my computer.
I can not open any links when reading mail from hotmail.com, and I can not
do anything without having my anti-virus fire wall up, plus anti virus
active. When I am not on the web, I feel that I do not need such programs
running using the memory that I have. How do I fix these probems. I have
tried everything I can think of.

Unknown wrote:
> What is the rational of decreasing the size of the temporary internet
> storage area? It makes no sense whatsoever..

On known issue with a large TIF storage area is Adobe Acrobat stops opening
files from the Internet, stating the file you just clicked on does not
exixts. It seems with TIF sizes over 500MB (in my experience) - it has
trouble maintaining it on even the fastest/best maintained PCs. Clearing
the TIF is all it takes to clear up that problem.. Shrinking the size below
500MB seems to keep it from repeating.

Also, from a security standpoint, your TIF files (unless you erase them upon
exiting) is a pretty good place to sniff around for your Internet browsing
habits - and fairly accurate. Less space, less stuff for people to
"discover".

--
<- Shenan ->

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

I totally disagree with both your answers. I have my TIF size set to 3 giga
bytes. I have never experienced Adobe Acrobat problems. I use Adobe every day.
I can only then assume something else causing that problem and not TIF size. I
keep mine at 3 gigs simply because it greatly speeds up surfing the net. (It
doesn't have to re-download everything when returning to a site).
With proper settings (firewall) one need not worry about others getting info
from the TIF.

Unknown wrote:
> I totally disagree with both your answers. I have my TIF size set to
> 3 giga bytes. I have never experienced Adobe Acrobat problems. I use
> Adobe every day. I can only then assume something else causing that
> problem and not TIF size. I keep mine at 3 gigs simply because it
> greatly speeds up surfing the net. (It doesn't have to re-download
> everything when returning to a site). With proper settings (firewall) one
> need not worry about others getting info from the TIF.

Disagreement/agreement is up to the individual.
I appreciate that you disagree.

With broadband connections being prevalent and usually not the bottleneck in
most people's web surfing - the difference it makes will be one based off of
situation.

Also, you may not be protecting your habits against those who would break in
from outside the physical PC.

--
<- Shenan ->