[SOLVED] Question about the RX 5700 XT

WeirdoWolf0106

Commendable
Aug 19, 2019
So I planned to buy a RX 5700 XT but i heard about overheating issues that AMD claims to be normal, even though there are reports of it shutting down at around 110 degrees celsius. Now i am not so sure if i should get it for this reason. Has this issue been fixed or is there a way around it?

Solution
I suggest you avoid buying the RX 5700 XT, even the custom AIB models. Even though AMD claimed this behavior to be normal, I have my doubts regarding this new NAVI architecture. Get a more power efficient card from NVIDIA.

This is just my own opinion. You can buy the card if you wish.

According to them:

AMD says that temperatures of up to 110°C with its RX 5700-series graphics cards are “expected and within spec” for typical gaming usage. The company’s latest GPUs, utilising the RDNA architecture, are known to crank out some heat, but according to AMD’s latest community update that’s within the safe operating range of the graphics card and nothing to worry about.

But there are gamers who are still complaining about...
I suggest you avoid buying the RX 5700 XT, even the custom AIB models. Even though AMD claimed this behavior to be normal, I have my doubts regarding this new NAVI architecture. Get a more power efficient card from NVIDIA.

This is just my own opinion. You can buy the card if you wish.

According to them:

AMD says that temperatures of up to 110°C with its RX 5700-series graphics cards are “expected and within spec” for typical gaming usage. The company’s latest GPUs, utilising the RDNA architecture, are known to crank out some heat, but according to AMD’s latest community update that’s within the safe operating range of the graphics card and nothing to worry about.

But there are gamers who are still complaining about system shutdown, and restart when this happens.

Last edited:
Solution
As per one report:

AMD has deployed the same AVFS (Adaptive Voltage and Frequency Scaling) strategy that it uses for Ryzen to maximize performance of its GPUs.

AVFS deploys a network of on-die sensors across the entire chip rather than relying on a single point of measurement. Rather than calibrating voltages and frequencies at the factory and preprogramming a series of defined voltage and frequency steps that all CPUs must achieve, AVFS dynamically measures and delivers the voltage required for each individual CPU to hit its desired clock frequencies. This allows for finer-grained power management across the CPU, improving both performance and power efficiency across a range of targets.

The 110-degree junction temperature is not evidence of a problem or a sudden issue with AMD graphics cards.

The 5700 XT is designed to continue boosting performance until it hits its thermal junction threshold. From the company’s blog post:
Paired with this array of sensors is the ability to identify the ‘hotspot’ across the GPU die. Instead of setting a conservative, ‘worst case’ throttling temperature for the entire die, the Radeon RX 5700 series GPUs will continue to opportunistically and aggressively ramp clocks until any one of the many available sensors hits the ‘hotspot’ or ‘Junction’ temperature of 110 degrees Celsius.

Operating at up to 110C Junction Temperature during typical gaming usage is expected and within spec. This enables the Radeon RX 5700 series GPUs to offer much higher performance and clocks out of the box, while maintaining acoustic and reliability targets.
Honestly speaking, I'm reluctant to buy these new NAVI GPUs, evne though AMD claims this behavior to be normal.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I get the impression that, because of the new network of sensors, that you're basically getting better readings and "resolution" of temperature readings.

ie: these new sensors picking up 110 degrees is likely to be the same as a single older-type sensor picking up 90-ish or so. These readings are not the same as the readings from the previous generations of cards.

Plus, the 5700 and 5700 XT are fairly similar in power useage as the particular Nvidia models they're on par with (2060 Super/2070 for the 5700, and 2070 Super for the 5700XT)

Aug 16, 2019
I own the RX 5700 Xt reference model since the release of it. It's been a pain in the ass until i figured i only had to undervolt a bit and set a custom fan curve. Im curently running 1900Mhz at 967mV, instead of 2044 Mhz at 1201mV. Everything is smooth like butter now. Haven't experienced a single hiccup, crash, stutter in around 100 hours of playing Metro Exodus, Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, Deus Ex:Mankind divided and Forza Horizon 4. All settings maxed out except MSAA at 1080p. The only problem i see is with DX12. Huge stuttering problems in BF1 and Deus Ex. Disabled it in both games and everything is flawless now. Great card man !

WeirdoWolf0106

Commendable
Aug 19, 2019
I own the RX 5700 Xt reference model since the release of it. It's been a pain in the ass until i figured i only had to undervolt a bit and set a custom fan curve. Im curently running 1900Mhz at 967mV, instead of 2044 Mhz at 1201mV. Everything is smooth like butter now. Haven't experienced a single hiccup, crash, stutter in around 100 hours of playing Metro Exodus, Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, Deus Ex:Mankind divided and Forza Horizon 4. All settings maxed out except MSAA at 1080p. The only problem i see is with DX12. Huge stuttering problems in BF1 and Deus Ex. Disabled it in both games and everything is flawless now. Great card man !
Thats interesting. Tbh all the heat issues and stuff turned me away from it. I will have to see between 5700 xt or 2070 super