Question Question about the WD_Black SN850x 2TB heatsink.

The_Outlander

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2013
Before I ask my question I must give a bit of backstory.

I'm doing a new build and recently ordered a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD direct from the manufacturer, which seems to have been a mistake. All of my other components arrived promptly, but when I checked on the SSD I noticed that not only had it not shipped, but ETA had been pushed back from December 6th to December 20th. I now suspect that the Samsung online store is dishonest about it's inventory and the item which I was led to believe was in stock is in fact on backorder, or worse might simply be nonexistent.

I am leaning towards canceling the order and getting a WD Black SN850x instead, the trouble is that it too is hard to find. The Western Digital online store claims to have it in stock, but if I cancel my order with Samsung to place one with a competitor only to discover that they also lie about their inventory I would feel like kind of an idiot. Newegg also has the SN850x 2TB, but only the version with the heatsink, which brings me finally to my question:

Is it a good idea to get an SSD with a heatsink attached even though my motherboard (Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC) already has heatsinks over the M.2 connectors? Will the two heatsinks interfere with each other or will they combine to grant even better performance?

I think the black friday sales wiped the stock of those. A couple weeks ago you could get all you wanted overnight almost now you find nothing.

I assume you do not have the motherboard or you would know the answer. You will not be able to use the motherboard heat sink and the SSD heat sink. The motherboard ones are designed to directly mount on normal SSID with a thin thermal pad at most between.
I would suspect performance wise there is not a lot of difference. The only concern I would have is how thick is heatsink that comes with the SSD. You are mounting this right next to the video card and there are always concerns about interference. The ones that come with the motherboard are level with the pcieslot.

You could I guess remove the heatsink and use the motherboard one but I bet it would void the warranty