Question Question about the Windows Registry

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
If you have separate drives for OS and installing applications, do registry entries get installed in the OS drive or where you install applications on?

I have two NVME drives: one for my WIN 10 and one to install applications on

When I install applications, it gets installed into the other drive (not the OS drive) by default

My question is, do registry entries and other things get installed in that drive or the OS drive?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
How did you do this?
It is generally not a good idea.
i didnt know that. i only did it because my os drive is a lot smaller in capacity (but faster) than my application drive

I have a separate drive for games and other programs (chrome, adobe software, etc)

i installed the nvme drive for applications and then partitioned it through disk management to allocate it its letter and changed the default installation drive to the letter i gave it through windows

USAFRet

Titan
i didnt know that. i only did it because my os drive is a lot smaller in capacity (but faster) than my application drive

I have a separate drive for games and other programs (chrome, adobe software, etc)

i installed the nvme drive for applications and then partitioned it through disk management to allocate it its letter and changed the default installation drive to the letter i gave it through windows
What size/type drives are in this?

changed the default installation drive
This was in the Registry? Or something else.

It is generally a bad idea, because some things are required to be on the same drive or partition as the OS. Forcing everything to be installed elsewhere often breaks some functionality.
And the semi-annual Win 10 update often breaks this as well.

The default app install path has nothing to do with windows updates ,windows is not an app and apps are not windows.
Changing the app install path has no ill effects because it will still install everything to C if it needs to be installed there, all the dependencies and OS specific things will only be installed to their default OS paths and not the app path you specify.

USAFRet

Titan
The default app install path has nothing to do with windows updates ,windows is not an app and apps are not windows.
Changing the app install path has no ill effects because it will still install everything to C if it needs to be installed there, all the dependencies and OS specific things will only be installed to their default OS paths and not the app path you specify.
This depends on how, exactly, this default was changed.

Via the app location in Settings, all is probably OK.
Via a Registry edit, not OK.

This is why I asked How this was done.

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
This depends on how, exactly, this default was changed.

Via the app location in Settings, all is probably OK.
Via a Registry edit, not OK.

This is why I asked How this was done.
yeah, i did it through app location in settings. it was a one-click thing. all i had to do was choose the drive for applications - very noob friendly

i wouldnt know how to do it through registry

i only had to ask about registry entries because i wanted to know if my OS drive would still be used to store data.. it was just a random thought. i figured that some apps would require some registries installed, which was in my OS drive; but i wanted to know if there would be a new registry located in my application drive

thanks for the concern everyone