Question about the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283

mossyoakmilitary

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Just a quick question about the heatsink. I have the adapter that goes underneath the mobo, I was just wondering how tight do I have to screw this thing down to be effective? Don't want to overtighten.

mossyoakmilitary

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
All it came with was the hardware and nothing else. I assume that it should be a little snug, but when I put it on and powered up, I can not get anything to come on the monitor, put the stock fan back on and all systems are a go.

MSI P45 NEO 2
OCZ DDR2/800 4G
Intel 9400/2.63
PNY 8800GT

Mrbumbum

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Right or wrong I did this...

Motherboard was outside of the case on the Anti static bag that it shipped with. I screwed the heatsink on until it would not go further (without excessive force) I'm pretty sure they can only go so far but you will know when it starts to get tight, the motherboard will rotate instead of the screw.

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Sure you didn't flip the backplate around the wrong way? The "rounded" side should face the mobo so there are no extra contacts against the mobo. There should also be a little plastic thing that goes between backplate and mobo.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The screws will bottom out and not go any farther once they have gone in the correct amount. You want to tighten each of the screws a small amount, then go back and tighten each of the screws a little more, and keep doing this until they bottom out.

You will want to check that something isn't shorting out on the bottom of the motherboard.