Question Question about this airflow config

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
This is one of the airflow configs that are confusing to me in a very popular case(picture isn't mine)

case.jpg

Wouldn't the side intakes cancel out the airflow coming from the front and blow the cool air towards the other side instead of letting it float naturally towards the PC components?

Its a classic example of adding more fan slots for RGB bling, without serving much purpose.
In theory, the fans against the motherboard would cause turbulence from the front fans, resulting in sub-par across case airflow.
They operate under the idea that having significant intake volume will overpower this turbulence and flood the case with cool air (which does work, but its a waste of money on the extra fans).
Additionally, I dont particularly recommend using the rear fan as an intake, there is minimal airflow to the GPU in this manner, as all the air is flowing upwards in the middle of the case, instead of being drawn across.

Reactions: a59

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Its a classic example of adding more fan slots for RGB bling, without serving much purpose.
In theory, the fans against the motherboard would cause turbulence from the front fans, resulting in sub-par across case airflow.
They operate under the idea that having significant intake volume will overpower this turbulence and flood the case with cool air (which does work, but its a waste of money on the extra fans).
Additionally, I dont particularly recommend using the rear fan as an intake, there is minimal airflow to the GPU in this manner, as all the air is flowing upwards in the middle of the case, instead of being drawn across.

You are correct, Sir. Also the added noise factor of 3 extra fans without any noticeable benifit, it's just crazy what the RGB mania has done to case manufacturers and people alike.

Its been quite the successful marketing move for sure.
We went from high airflow cases with wide open front panels, effectively cooled by 2-3 intakes and 1-2 exhaust fans at most to glass paneled cases with the most fans you can stack in there (9-12 these days) and temps are still bad.

Reactions: a59