Question about this fan controller

dman777

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I am thining about getting a Zalman ZM-MFC1 controller and on the specs it saids:

1. 4 Channel - Adjustable Fan Speed Dials
- Maximum Power : 7.0W per channel
- Maximum Adjustable Range: +6.5Vmax (=Vfan(max) - Vfan(min))
- Maximum Voltage Drop : +2.0Vmax (= Vpin(max) - Vfan(max))
- Extension cable length (4pcs): 400mm

Does this mean I can only adjust the fans by 2.0 volts?

Also, I don't understand what 7.0w per channel is...all my 80mm fans are rated at 12 volts. For instance, would a 80 mm12 volt 40 cfm fan have a larger output than 7 watts

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
i have no idea either.

but i can say getting 120 mm fans are much better for cooling a pc but if u have like a couple of small ones that will work just a good.

too bad i couldnt be much of a help to you, but someone here will come. this forum is filled with smart computer guys. thats why i like this place.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
120mm fans typically draw around 1-2 watts (w). A 120mm fan with LED may draw up to 4w but that is typically the maximum.

What you are looking for is the RANGE, this is 6.5 volts which I'm guessing will go from 5.5v to 12v.

I would look at the nexus 301 (or 305) instead which can handle 3 fans and 2 cathode lights. Each line goes from 0 to 12v so you can turn the fan completely off if you wish and go right to the highest speed the fan is rated for. Also, the nexus has a maximum 18 watts per channel. I run 7 fans off my 3 channels as you can daisy chain them, two 120mm fans on two channels each and the third channel has one 120mm and two 92mm. All 120mm fans are led.

Arctucas

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
When calculating power (watts) the relationship between voltage and amperage is inversely propotional, i.e as one increases, the other decreases and vice versa.

Watts equals volts times amps, therefore the full load current for 7 watts @ 12 volts (Vmax) equals .583 amps. 7 watts @ 5.5 volts (Vmin) equals 1.272 amps.

Do your fans have a wattage rating on them? If not, you could use a voltmeter and ammeter to calculate the amount of power (watts) your fans are actually cosuming by using the above formula.

In direct current (DC) circuits, which is what your fans are, you just add up the watts of each device (fan) to get the total load. For example, if your fans are rated at 2 watts you could put 3 fans (6 watts) on one output, although it is recommended that you only apply a load that is 80% of the circuit rating, or 5.6 amps (2 fans) on a 7 watt rated circuit.

Current (amperage draw) is what you need to be careful of; think short circuit/overload.