[SOLVED] Question about type 3 and type 4 pcie cables for corsair.

manne11

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I was wondering, I have a graphics card that requires 3 pcie cables. I have 2 corsair type 3 pcie cables and i'm looking online for another one but they only have a type 4 pcie cable that would work with my cxm power supply. My question is, is it safe to use 2 type 3 pcie cables and 1 type 4 pcie cable to power my gpu that requires 3 cables in total? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Last edited:
Solution
No, it's not. You need to, MUST, use the type of cables that are meant for use with your power supply. If the cable is not SPECIFICALLY compatible with your power supply, you don't use it, unless you enjoy watching magic smoke shows.

What graphics card do you have that you think requires 3 PCIe power cables, because there are none that I'm aware of that use more than two 8 pin connectors.
No, it's not. You need to, MUST, use the type of cables that are meant for use with your power supply. If the cable is not SPECIFICALLY compatible with your power supply, you don't use it, unless you enjoy watching magic smoke shows.

What graphics card do you have that you think requires 3 PCIe power cables, because there are none that I'm aware of that use more than two 8 pin connectors.

Solution

manne11

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Aw man I thought it would maybe work. I was planning on getting an RMi type 4 cable to use on my CX-M PSU since I couldn't find another type 3 cable and the corsair compatibility page said they should work with each other and I already have two type 3 cables and was wondering if two type 3 and one type 4 would work with the GPU. The card I was referring to is a EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA i'll be getting soon from the step up program which according to the EVGA specs it requires "Three available 8-pin or 6+2pin PCIe power dongles"

TRENDING THREADS