Question about upcoming ps5, with hdmi 1.4 tv

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Greetings all :)

TLDR at the bottom:

I was browsing online for some info for the ps5, and found something that worried my mind a bit, so I thought, i would have to go to a forum to get help there. So thats why I opened this topic :)

I however found no separate section for game consoles, but as my question is purely hardware related, i decided to post it here.

The thing is that I DON'T and i repeat DON'T want 4k gaming yet. When I play games in 4k on a too small screen, i need binoculars to read the subtitles.

So thats why I have decided to go for a good 1080p tv last february which resulted in the Sony KDL-50 WF660, in the usa it should be released under the name KDL-50 W660F

This means that this tv has just 2 normal (for 1080p) HDMI ports version 1.4.

However the ps5, will have the HDMI 2.1 standard which is built and made for 4k and up.

Now even when I will buy the ps5 at some point, 1080p is still more then enough for me, especially for that my eyes can be a bit better when it comes do reading small letters from far away.
So yes, when the ps5 is in my living room, i will let it run at 1080p ONLY!

But here's the thing, I know that 2.1 is backwards compatible with 2.0. But thats for 4k.

Does this mean I am obligated to buy a new tv when I want to hook up the ps5? (or any other device with HDMI 2.1 support)

Or, because I'm gonna use it on 1080p, my current tv will still can handle it well?

TLDR:

Basicly, a HDMI 2.1 backwards compatible with HDMI 1.4 when using a 1080p resolution?

Thanks in advance!

Yes the new HDMI connection will run 1080 resolution. There was a lot of text in your post to ask that LOL. You can also just check on the PS5 specs when it comes out to check if it supports 1080 resolution or if it's locked at 4k, which will be very odd if it was.

Aside from that, 4k on a 50" screen is just fine, it's only gets too small at something like a 27" but even then you can get a 4k screen and just run it at 1080 or use scaling of the UI to increase the text and interface size which is available in most games (at least on a PC, don't know if consoles do that). A 50" screen at 1080 will have pretty large pixels and will look more grainy than a 4k screen, especially if you sit closer to it. There was no need to buy a 1080 screen in your case, basically what you did was pass up buying a nice car because you did not want to drive it at high speeds all the time, but you can drive even a fast car slower with no issues. Not everyone that buys a Porsche drives it at 100mph all the time, it also runs at 60 or 80, but you don't need to say "I won't be driving fast so I should buy a VW Golf".

Last edited:

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Yes the new HDMI connection will run 1080 resolution. There was a lot of text in your post to ask that LOL. You can also just check on the PS5 specs when it comes out to check if it supports 1080 resolution or if it's locked at 4k, which will be very odd if it was.

Aside from that, 4k on a 50" screen is just fine, it's only gets too small at something like a 27" but even then you can get a 4k screen and just run it at 1080 or use scaling of the UI to increase the text and interface size which is available in most games (at least on a PC, don't know if consoles do that). A 50" screen at 1080 will have pretty large pixels and will look more grainy than a 4k screen, especially if you sit closer to it. There was no need to buy a 1080 screen in your case, basically what you did was pass up buying a nice car because you did not want to drive it at high speeds all the time, but you can drive even a fast car slower with no issues. Not everyone that buys a Porsche drives it at 100mph all the time, it also runs at 60 or 80, but you don't need to say "I won't be driving fast so I should buy a VW Golf".

Hehe, thats why I added a TLDR.

I explained it this extensively though, cause in the past I had people saying stuff like me, like go for better quality otherwise you miss out. And while this is true, I prefer to just go for what I like, and cause im a bit sick of people saying the previous, I made it more clear that i just wanna stick to 1080p :)

But now about the rest of your reply:

A (former) friend of mine, has a 4k tv 43" and i tried running rdr2 in 4k with it. Cause the xbox one x (the one that he owns) doesnt downscale the resolution, its hard to read the subtitles for me when sitting on the couch. I have to get pretty close to the screen then to read it.

Now when you measure 43" to cm, and therefor 50" to cm, if my maths are right 50" is 127cm, and 43" is around the 110cm mark. So not quite a big difference to that imo, and cause i want to be able to just read and see everything fine i dont wanna go for 4k tv wise cause i know i then still have a hard time to read the subtitles

I could wear glasses or lenses tho, but ive tried, and i seriously don't like them. I have decided to do surgery once per 15-20 years as long as its possible to adjust my eyes and therefor my sight.

I have both nystagmus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nystagmus

And strabismus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strabismus

At the same time, where I have Nystagmus all the time, but you dont notice it when you look at my eyes when I have both eyes open, and strabismus I have to some degree, specially when I'm tired.

In any case, again this text is quite long, so I keep it short..

For the last of us part 1, i can choose the resolution in the ps4 menu itself.. And yes, when i purchase the ps5, I will try to browse through the menu first, before actually buying it.

My brother in law getting the ps5 on release, so I might visit him and my sister to test it out before buying it myself probally next may, or may 2022 :)

But thanks for replying, as I think its now safe to say that when you can downscale the resolution on the ps4, its safe to say this function is implemented in the ps5 too probally? And that im not hardware locked based on the HDMI version of the ps5 and my tv right?

Anyways, would appreciate it if you would want to verify the last alinea of text here ^^

Thanks again :)