[SOLVED] Question about upgrading HP EliteBook 8460p

Apr 20, 2020
Hello,

I want to upgrade my 8460p(i7-2640m, 4gb ddr3 1333mhz ram) with a 2860qm and 2x8gb ddr3 1333mhz.
Now I know how to build a pc and how everything works with socket compatibility, I also completely disembled, cleaned and respasted my 8460p so Im not unknown in upgrading.

But on the forums when I look for upgrade compatibility for this machine I always read this in it ''Yes. You need to use the right part number. Please don't ask me why but this will save some head aches.''

So my question is will these parts work or does it have to be a specific batch of processors made for HP?

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32615183152.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.41cd56cdzWWW4Y&algo_pvid=7...

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1752930643.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1e103cf81v0Bml&algo_pvid=ba...

I can find good prices for second hand brand ram like Kingston but If im about to get my processor from china might as well get my ram there as a test.
For the processor I cannot really find it anywhere else for a decent price, some shops here still sell them online but for the price that it costed when it came out...

More system info:
HP EliteBook 8460p, Serienumber: CZC2176507, Productnumber:LJ427AV
And if you need the motherboard number I can check.

Thanks in advance

Greetings,

Jurre :)

Solution
It supports up to i7-2860qm , should work fine. Do not buy ivy bridge cpu:s i7-3*** series. Just update bios to latest before the installation.
Cpu supports 1600mhz ram but im not 100% sure about chipset, it will downclock and prize difference is very small with 1333 / 1600mhz so i would get 2x8gb 1600mhz sodimm.

Best would be to get used cpu and ram, since these parts are rare to fail you could find good deal from your home countrys used parts site.

Just curious why do you need this update, are you trying to install eGPU setup? which is possible with this model.
It supports up to i7-2860qm , should work fine. Do not buy ivy bridge cpu:s i7-3*** series. Just update bios to latest before the installation.
Cpu supports 1600mhz ram but im not 100% sure about chipset, it will downclock and prize difference is very small with 1333 / 1600mhz so i would get 2x8gb 1600mhz sodimm.

Best would be to get used cpu and ram, since these parts are rare to fail you could find good deal from your home countrys used parts site.

Just curious why do you need this update, are you trying to install eGPU setup? which is possible with this model.

Solution
Apr 20, 2020
nope, I bought this laptop for 100euro second hand when I was young and even though it is from 2011 so almost 10 years old it still functions perfectly, after cleaning and repasting even more. I like the rugged sturdy quality and it outlived a lot of my friends laptops whom some of just died out of nowhere. So I was just looking into maxing it out with the best hardware it can handle so that it can perhaps last me another 10 years as backup, for cheaper than a new laptop. And right now my little sister uses it for minecraft, with the new cpu and ram I can mod it some more for her :)

Apr 20, 2020
About the ram. The board has nothing to do with how much mhz ram you can install? Pure about if your cpu supports it?
I never knew where/what part to look for about how much the system could handle. I red on hp that it could only take 1333mhz but that was my current cpu(i7-2640m) which shows indeed on intel that it supports 1333 max. Thx, learned another thing!

It Will downclock To 1333 if chipset wont support 1600mhz but the cpu you are about To buy supports up To 1600mhz.

And amount of ram limitation depends on both factors. Your fine with 2x8gb on this model. Use good thermal paste like thermal grizzly kryonaut since this cpu Will run hotter

Apr 20, 2020
I use Kryonaut and I completely cleaned it with compressed air and alcohol :) I also have an adjustable aluminium laptop stand with 120mm fans if needed. So I'm just going to order it then and see how it all works out! maybe document it and post how it all went, upgrading your old laptop from aliexpress haha