[SOLVED] Question about upgrading my cpu

Apr 1, 2020
Current Mobo:
MSI H110 Pro-D (ms7996)

Current CPU:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4400 @ 3.3 ghz, 3312 mhz, 2 cores, 2 logical processors

I want to upgrade to a new processor and i have limited experience choosing one with an existing mobo. PC typically used for gaming. Was thinking intel 6 or 8 cores. Not sure which model. Not sure which generation. Was hoping I could get a cpu which wouldn't need a bios update as that seems a scary task for a layman. Looking to spend around 300-400 USD. Any suggestions? Is it wrong to feel intimidated by a bios update? Is there such a thing as a "plug and play" cpu for any given motherboard?

Solution
Current Mobo:
MSI H110 Pro-D (ms7996)

as thinking intel 6 or 8 cores.

Your motherboard does not support CPUs above 4 physical cores. You'd need to have a 300-series motherboard for 6 and 8 core cpus.

Looking to spend around 300-400 USD

Do you have a decent power supply? What do you have for RAM and storage (ssd) ?

$400 in Intel world will get you a decent motherboard and i5 9600k. For your money, you would do much better with an AMD-based system with better upgrade path.
Current Mobo:
MSI H110 Pro-D (ms7996)

Current CPU:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4400 @ 3.3 ghz, 3312 mhz, 2 cores, 2 logical processors

I want to upgrade to a new processor and i have limited experience choosing one with an existing mobo. PC typically used for gaming. Was thinking intel 6 or 8 cores. Not sure which model. Not sure which generation. Was hoping I could get a cpu which wouldn't need a bios update as that seems a scary task for a layman. Looking to spend around 300-400 USD. Any suggestions? Is it wrong to feel intimidated by a bios update? Is there such a thing as a "plug and play" cpu for any given motherboard?
First thing is to look at CPU compatibility list for particular MB, here for instance https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-D#support-cpu were you can also see which BIOS version is needed, You also need to know which version you have.

Apr 1, 2020
BIOS Version/Date:
American Megatrends Inc. 2.EO. 8/11/2017

SMBIOS Version: 3.0

BIOS Mode: Legacy

I guess i dont see any corresponding bios versions on this list? Am I wrong?

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
When I was updating my BIOS it wasnt really a "difficult" one.
When doing it you gotta make sure:
-having an USB stick which is completely blank (in the USB stick you will move the BIOS version update)
-visit your Mobo's manufacturer website to download the BIOS version update

I am obviously not familier with your Mobo so I will improvise (which means that you should inform yourself whether the Mobo that I am bout show you is ideal to yours because IT IS IMPORTANT to install only BIOS versions on your Mobo approved from the manufacturer)

Here is a quick guide made by me so you can maybe orientate yourself better:

View: https://imgur.com/a/HV1iQU3

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
BIOS Version/Date:
American Megatrends Inc. 2.EO. 8/11/2017

SMBIOS Version: 3.0

BIOS Mode: Legacy

I guess i dont see any corresponding bios versions on this list? Am I wrong?
If you want to know how to know your BIOS version do the following:

1. Press Windows key + R (a small window should pop up where you can write something)
  2. Type in "dxdiag"
  3. There you should be able to see your BIOS version. Here is mine as an example so you can orientate better (I underlined it): https://imgur.com/a/j4zeIm6 (in my case it's "F11c")

Last edited:

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Current Mobo:
MSI H110 Pro-D (ms7996)

as thinking intel 6 or 8 cores.

Your motherboard does not support CPUs above 4 physical cores. You'd need to have a 300-series motherboard for 6 and 8 core cpus.

Looking to spend around 300-400 USD

Do you have a decent power supply? What do you have for RAM and storage (ssd) ?

$400 in Intel world will get you a decent motherboard and i5 9600k. For your money, you would do much better with an AMD-based system with better upgrade path.

Solution
Apr 1, 2020
500 watt power supply with 16gb ram. My hard drives are a 2 tb hd and a 500 GB ssd. I was really trying to avoid replacing my motherboard. I was really hoping I could replace my cpu. Then when finances allow my gpu too, 1550 ti. I mainly use my pc for gaming and I have recently run into performance issues on games which generate lots of models at once. Namely Bannerlord and vermintide 2. I'm not really huge on being able to run games on very high graphic settings, it doesnt bother me much. I am not just getting low fps I am seeing total game stuttering when even the audio drops out and the game freezes for long periods. My big bottlenecks are both my gpu/cpu. 4 cores might have to be my only route