[SOLVED] Question about upgrading RAM on laptop

May 28, 2020
Hi there,

Last october I bought an "entry-level gaming laptop" which I've been using with much pleasure.
Lately I started playing Warzone, which pushes the system to it's max and I started wondering if I could improve performance by upgrading my RAM.

The laptop I bought is the Lenovo Ideapad L340-Gaming, with the 9th gen i5-9300H, Nvidea GTX 1650, and a single channel 8gb SODIMM 2400mhz RAM stick.

Unfortunately the graphics card and processor cannot be upgraded. The RAM usage when playing spikes up near the 8GB, and I am therefore wondering if upgrading to 16gb is worth the investment. Furthermore, when researching I have another question about the mhz of the potential new stick of RAM. Is a higher mhz stick compatible, is it worth the upgrade or should I only be looking at 16gb SODIMM 2400mhz sticks, if so, which one has your preference?

Any tips?

Kind regards,
Khonen

Solution
If you use multiple RAM sticks with different frequencies, they will run on the lowest frequency.

Sure, adding an extra 8gb RAM stick will improve performance, since they will be running in dual channel, but don't expect more than a 5-10% in performance. Going beyond 16gb of RAM doesn't really make sense for your system (atm), so I would not exactly recommend it, since you will most likely not notice/actually use it, but if you find a good deal, sure, why not.

xoxtrollstar

Commendable
May 11, 2018
If you use multiple RAM sticks with different frequencies, they will run on the lowest frequency.

Sure, adding an extra 8gb RAM stick will improve performance, since they will be running in dual channel, but don't expect more than a 5-10% in performance. Going beyond 16gb of RAM doesn't really make sense for your system (atm), so I would not exactly recommend it, since you will most likely not notice/actually use it, but if you find a good deal, sure, why not.

Last edited:
Solution