Question question about usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

modemproblem101

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
As the subject says, whenever I check in Resource Monitor for Windows (Windows 10 with latest security updates), Firefox (latest version) is connected to a website that is blocked in Windows hosts file, and it's also connected to some Google and Amazon websites even though I'm not browsing anything, I literally just have a blank page open.

I tried doing an offline scan with Windows Defender, using Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, then Malwarebytes Antimalware full scan (scanned for rootkits too), and after 5 hours of scanning, no threats were found.
So, I downloaded Firefox setup and did a clean install, but the problem still persists.

The addons I have installed are uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Firefox Multi-Account Containers and XDM Browser Monitor (for an open source download manager unrelated to Firefox which requires the addon to grab download links and the addon only works when the download manager is running.)

I'm gonna attach a screenshot of Resource Monitor showing Firefox's network activity with that website address (techsmith.com) which is a website for a video editing software which I have installed and do not want it to be updated (I have an old version which I wanna keep), so I blocked most of the addresses related to it using Windows hosts file to prevent the update. But, what I don't understand is, why is Firefox connected to that website even though it's blocked?

we1Hy.png

Ralston18

Titan
I connected to https://www.techsmith.com/ just to see what the site is.

Company sells a variety of video and image related software apps which fits into your stated use of video software.

The real matter is, as you asked, "what is it doing there".

Your video software may be trying to phone home and failing to do so because you have blocked the website.

The key then is to stop, if possible, the attempt.

First take a very close look at your video software's configuration settings. There may be an option to turn off/disable the attempt.

Likely you have looked such a thing but it may not be clearly stated as such or masked within some other "feature" or function.

Next place I would look is in Task Manager > Startup tab. Look for something being launched at startup.

If nothing is found there go to Task Scheduler.

Task Scheduler is full of options and triggers - behind the scenes stuff. Look for any entries associated with your video editing software.

May not be easy to directly recognize so do not immediately do anything. Just see what you can find and then delve into anything that seems suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS