[SOLVED] Question About Vcore and LLC on my 8700k

Jan 28, 2019
Okay, as the title says I have a question about my Vcore and LLC. my specs are as follows...

InWin 101 case

i7 8700k delided with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut to replace the stock TIM and I used the same thermal paste between IHS and heatsink. I have it a 5ghz overclock and can reach 5.1ghz but the voltages are scaring me..... that's why i'm here now...

Mobo is a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra

Cyrorig A40 Ultimate 240mmX38mm radiator setup in a push/pull

Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti 11gb GPU with a Kraken g12 and Corsair h55 AIO and Noctua 92mm fan and all ram, VRMs, and all other important components have copper heatsinks attached by thermal pads to insure the card runs nice and cool.

16gb(2x8) G.Skill 3000mhz 15c ram

250gb Samsung 970 evo m.2 NVMe SSD
240gb Adata SX8200 m.2 NVMe SSD

Windows 10 pro....

Okay, so i'm new to overclocking and have watched as many videos as possible with as close the same specs as my pc. most people don't have a z390 on their 8700k in the videos but everything is mostly the same on the z370 anyway. When I overclock to 5ghz i'm only stable if I set my vcore in BIOs to 1.3v and LLC is set to turbo. If LLC is not on turbo, doesnt matter what the vcore is set to as it will crash immediately after powering up the PC.... But with LLC set to turbo i'm stable at 5.1ghz at 1.32v. but when I boot the computer and goto HWmonitor… it reads the vcore on the mobo at whatever I have it set at or close but under the CPU Tab the VID voltages on all cores read somewhere around 1.44v???????? Is this bad for my cpu? my temps never read over 60c no matter what I do. prime 95 is the only program to get it over 52c. I have even seen the VID voltages reach 1.49v but not since I lowered my vcore to 1.3v as I used to run it at 1.34v before delid. anyways, thanks in advance for your help. So do I need to lower the overclock so I can drop the vcore some? Also, I have noticed that even if I drop vcore the VID voltages don't drop at the same rate that I lower vcore. Like when I went from a vcore of 1.34v to 1.3v the VID only dropped like maybe .01v. What should I do? Or am I safe?

Solution
I don't think you understand what or HOW LLC works.

LLC or Load-Line-Calibration is designed to optimize voltage when the CPU abruptly increases and decreases load.

For example, without LLC, and your CPU is say at 1.35v, then you run say prime95. For a brief moment, that vcore can drop significantly like 1.22v or something which can cause the computer to crash.

Where as with LLC, LLC fixes the issue. So if you put it at the right setting. it should maintain 1.35v with little or no deviation to the vcore whatsoever under all circumstances.

But, if you push the LLC levels too high, you can get what's known as vBoost. Basically LLC overcompensates the voltage it needs to apply.

So what you need to do is lower your LLC UNTIL you...
I don't think you understand what or HOW LLC works.

LLC or Load-Line-Calibration is designed to optimize voltage when the CPU abruptly increases and decreases load.

For example, without LLC, and your CPU is say at 1.35v, then you run say prime95. For a brief moment, that vcore can drop significantly like 1.22v or something which can cause the computer to crash.

Where as with LLC, LLC fixes the issue. So if you put it at the right setting. it should maintain 1.35v with little or no deviation to the vcore whatsoever under all circumstances.

But, if you push the LLC levels too high, you can get what's known as vBoost. Basically LLC overcompensates the voltage it needs to apply.

So what you need to do is lower your LLC UNTIL you maintain 1.3v under all circumstances (or very close to it).

EDIT: I didn't see you aren't stable at 1.3v, ok so try 1.35v with a lower LLC and see if that works.

Solution