Question about warranty transfers and picking between 2 laptops. for school

randomperson22

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
So I'm buying a laptop for school, I found two off of craigslist both within my budget range.
This is the first one for 400 dollars http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP520U4C-A01UB-specs its a Samsung ultra book with an i5 processor.
Its supposed to have 1 year left on the extended warranty, and the warranty is attached to the serial number of the product and not a name so I was wondering if anyone has any experience buying used computer parts and if the warranty transfers over.

The other laptop is a https://denver.craigslist.org/sys/4437098499.html its got a core i7 and a really nice graphics card but its a bit older, though it looks in good shape. I don't think it has an active warranty on it though.

They're both priced at 400 dollars, I would mostly be lugging this around so portability is a big factor but I would also like one I could keep for a long time so a powerful processor etc goes a long way. The graphics card on the second one is tempting but I probably shouldnt be playing games on a school laptop so I don't know if its a plus or not tbh.

So any suggestions on whats the better pick?

Solution
I would opt for the 2nd option. Much faster and better overall, even though it is used. Though used does put people off, especially after warranty, it is best to test it before buying it, or getting the user to do some tests for you and provide feedback (screenshots of hardware tests). Also best to ask for specific photo's in case you have a query of damage around the laptop that you aren't aware of (Sometimes people take a photo of the good side, making dents and damage not visible, this ensures that it is in good condition from a drop perspective, it is also easy to tell if a dodgy repair has been attempted on the outside). For games, best to get option 2 as it has a discrete GPU, and not Intel HD graphics 4000, which I used to have...
I would opt for the 2nd option. Much faster and better overall, even though it is used. Though used does put people off, especially after warranty, it is best to test it before buying it, or getting the user to do some tests for you and provide feedback (screenshots of hardware tests). Also best to ask for specific photo's in case you have a query of damage around the laptop that you aren't aware of (Sometimes people take a photo of the good side, making dents and damage not visible, this ensures that it is in good condition from a drop perspective, it is also easy to tell if a dodgy repair has been attempted on the outside). For games, best to get option 2 as it has a discrete GPU, and not Intel HD graphics 4000, which I used to have and is terrible, I assure you, P.S. you can play games at home, but best not at school as it is a distraction. Through all this, all I want is the full knowledge of the used product to the consumer, as sometimes there is no return, once it's done it's done.

So in short;

Ask for specific hardware tests, i.e. Prime95 torture test, as that will give an idea of performance wise, if the CPU/Ram is working sufficiently, best asked for a screen recording as if the screen flashes and all, you've got a dud.

Ask for more photo's of the outside, preferable around the whole thing just to make sure, if the seller has missed some parts of the body, ask for that section as he might be trying to cover something up.

Just remember, most of the time, the is no option to give it back if it is a dud, so get as much knowledge of the laptop before you purchase it.

Hope this helps.

Solution

randomperson22

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

Thank for the reply, I didn't think about hardware tests but its a good idea to put my mind at ease at the idea of buying a used computer. I was looking on craigslist for a while looking for a cheap laptop when suddenly its been flooded with them so hopefully I'll find something that fits. I think your right about # 2 being the better deal atm.