Question about Win 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

venom0706

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
I have a question regarding Windows 10.

Basically, if someone has pirated Win 7, he/she can't upgrade to a genuine Win 10 at the moment (until July 29).

After July 29, a person with pirated Win 7 will be able to upgrade to Win 10, because the OS won't be free, but paid after that day and if a genuine activation key is bought, then everything will be ok?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

As long as they purchase a product key through an authorized retailer. You will have to completely reinstall though as it wont be an upgrade and an upgrade will only work from a valid Windows 7 or 8 license, or at least that is how it worked in the past I may be wrong.

venom0706

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
I don't think anyone understood my question. Please read my post carefully again.

I KNOW that the Win 10 won't be genuine. But if it is installed AFTER July 29, when Windows 10 isn't free anymore, and an activation key is needed (and bought), then it will be legit, right? (installed from the same non-genuine Win 7).

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
It's better to purchase Windows 7 now (it's cheaper then Windows 10) then do the free upgrade and you will have a Windows 7 activated (if you go back) or Windows 10 upgraded free upgrade. If you wait till after the price for Windows 10 Pro is 199 (without upgrade). If you wait till after i hear upgrade and non-grade the same price 199 Pro.

Windows 7 upgrade way cheaper and upgrade to 10 will be free.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-bit-Activation-Code/dp/B01B9WYQU2/ref=pd_rhf_eeolp_s_cp_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=51ZFy6wYN4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR135%2C135_&psc=1&refRID=QRKNZN26BQFA6CYT2209

venom0706

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Thank you for your response. I have 1 question, if I now install Win 10 (while it is free), how many times can I re-install it? Does it expire?

It is better to do this before July 29th.

venom0706

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Thank you for your responses. I think I will stay with Win 7 for now. And how long can I continue using it before I am forced to move to Win 10? I am perfectly happy with my Win 7. Besides, I don't want to move to something else, just because it is on offer at the moment.

USAFRet

Titan

Either way, you're going to have to actually purchase something eventually.

But I think this has gone far enough down the rabbit hole, and is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.